German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my partner rescued a 4 year old female GSD around November last year.
We also have a 1 year old Belgian malinois mix with a gsd.
Kenya (the GSD) is naturally very protective of kids and me especially. Constantly checking on us both and gets anxiety extremely easily if she thinks something is dangerous.
She is normally very good with my partner but he does have a stronger bond with the other dog while she definitely is more bonded to me.
She’s only shown real aggression if she is unable to be with me or the kids and strangers approach (if she’s in the car etc). But that’s only happened a couple of times.
Lately if my partner gets up from his laptop in the lounge and I’m on the couch across the room she will immediately jump up and start approaching him while barking and growling as a warning for him not to come near me or the kids. It only happens at night and I really have no idea why. It’s only started about a month ago but I’m not sure how to handle it. He does assert himself as pack leader, could she be unhappy with him being dominate? Any suggestions would help. Tia

·
Registered
849 Posts
For me, I would take control and correct my dog for that behavior. Sounds like she’s taking the leadership role because you’re not.

Don’t feel bad. I had similar issues with my dog. As soon as I stepped up the obedience and leadership, I had less issues.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If it were me, I would tether her, and the moment she reacted to his movement, I would correct, then redirect, then wait for her to completely calm down then reward.
I would correct by leash pop on training collar.
I would then direct her to lie down.
I would not reward too quickly because if she is listening but is still too amped up she will think she is being rewarded for maintaining the excited state.
Once she calms down, reward with food and praise.
I would repeat this many times, until it is no longer a problem.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Apart from correcting her on the spot, I think it would be a good idea to call in a trainer. Aggression/reactiveness towards a family member (who you live with everyday) is intolerable in my opinion. Before it escalates, I'd suggest contacting a professional trainer or behaviourist.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If it is only happening at night, I wonder if there could be an underlying vision issue. Does she calm down after your partner begins speaking, as it would help her recognize him?

Me and my partner rescued a 4 year old female GSD around November last year.
We also have a 1 year old Belgian malinois mix with a gsd.
Kenya (the GSD) is naturally very protective of kids and me especially. Constantly checking on us both and gets anxiety extremely easily if she thinks something is dangerous.
She is normally very good with my partner but he does have a stronger bond with the other dog while she definitely is more bonded to me.
She’s only shown real aggression if she is unable to be with me or the kids and strangers approach (if she’s in the car etc). But that’s only happened a couple of times.
Lately if my partner gets up from his laptop in the lounge and I’m on the couch across the room she will immediately jump up and start approaching him while barking and growling as a warning for him not to come near me or the kids. It only happens at night and I really have no idea why. It’s only started about a month ago but I’m not sure how to handle it. He does assert himself as pack leader, could she be unhappy with him being dominate? Any suggestions would help. Tia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts