German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP aggression in puppys

Can anyone help me and my boys. both of them are 10 weeks old
they have been together since they were 7 week old, now the playing is getting out of control and i have to step in. My GSD has bitten my weimaraner on the leg(hard so he could'nt walk for over an hour later and then he was limping for the rest of the day) I rotate them in there crate when it gets to a point where i think blood will be spilt.Both of my boys will not back down. I have come to the point where i can not take this I know One of them is going to end up at the vets. what can i do to stop the snarling and teeth bearing? they do not stop even when one of them yelps i have to jump in and stop them, i think it is ty my gsd that starts it.
Please help me as i think i will have find another home for one but which one i do not know
they have both go scares were the have made each other bleed.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Re: HELP aggression in puppys

since I'm a shepherd person, I guess let the weimaraner go:))

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

my kid have said to keep Ty, he is so good on his own but why is it so hard? why can't they just get along its like they have this love hate thing going on

·
Registered
31 Posts

Why in the world would someone have two ten week old puppies? J/K
I am not really sure but I imagine they will have to figure out which one is the highest ranking before it gets any better.
Surely some of these more experienced folks will chime in

·
2,967 Posts

From everything I have read, having 2 puppies at the same time can be really difficult, in part because they prefer to chew on each other and having 2 puppies can make obedience training very difficult.

I would seperate them until they are old enough to mind on their own. We keep our 4 month old and 14 month old seperate, except for 3 or 4 times a week they are allowed out together to visit, and my 14 month old will leave the puppy to come to me.

Here's an article with some good points on raising 2 puppies.
http://www.leerburg.com/pdf/raisingtwopuppies.pdf

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

I am sorry; this sounds like a heartbreaking situation for you and for your family.

If you cannot or do not want to keep them separate then I think it's perfectly fine (and responsible) to rehome one of them. It is not normal for young puppies to be causing that kind of damage to one another. You need to figure out which one is the best fit for your family.

When you do rehome, please do it with the help of rescue and if this is not possible then get vet, personal references and do a home check. You should also have them sign a contract agreeing to return the dog to you should they need to rehome him at any point in his life. Finally, be sure to ask for a rehoming fee. You can then donate that to a local rescue or have them write the check directly to the rescue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I asked around befor i got them the vet said it would be difficult but could see no reason why not. As for abedience i am training them seperatly and they are realy coming along they will both come and sit when called also they go down when told,working on heel not going very well but getting there very slowly.Bo my weim is aloud out so hes training is going better but Ty was ill when i got him so he is behind in his jads so not allowed out until 2 weeks time.
It just seems so funny that if you give Ty his food he will not eat until Bo has his, he just sits and waits.I have not trained him to do that, they do have to sit before i give them there meal,treat or toy. do you think it might be Ty has to much energy so its coming out as aggression?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts

Quote:do you think it might be Ty has to much energy so its coming out as aggression?
Yes. Puppies have tremendous amounts of energy to expend---and the way they do it with other puppies is play fighting. It's a natural behavior, and would only be a problem if, like yours, they are fighting so hard that they risk injuring each other.

If you decide to keep both, I'd try a couple of techniques:

Separating them. You want these pups to focus primarily on you, not each other.

Separate exercise time. Take each pup out for playtime, walks, running in the yard by themselves.

Give them time to interact with each other after you've burned off some of that excess energy. And only with supervision. If the fighting gets too rough, you're the one in charge--break it up, and send each pup to his crate for a break. (But don't use the crate as punishment.)

I think this blood-letting is something they will outgrow. Puppy teeth are like needles.

But the larger issue is the whole difficulty of rearing two puppies of the same age at the same time. It will be more than twice as hard as one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

What would you do if it were you? i have tried to separating them Ty is happy but all Bo (Weim) dose is cry until they are back to with each other then its all wet kisses they even claen each others you no whats. I just feel like i am going round in circle. One more thing i just took Bo out and this women walk up Bo had his hackels up i have never seen this befor, he is fine when people come to our home also he had them up when my son called him and came runing up to us, whats that about he never tried to get away he just stood there.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts

They are babies. Babies cry. That doesn't mean you have to give in and give them what they want if it isn't good for them.

Eventually, the pups will get used to being separated from each other, just as they got used to being separated from their litters and their mothers.

Both puppies will (separately) need lots of socialization---meaning taking them out into the world to meet new people, hear the sounds, smell the smells, of their world. Bo's fearful reaction to a new person isn't surprising in a 10-week old baby. He's trying to figure out his world.

I don't know how to answer the question "what would you do if it were you?" because I don't know your situation--how much time and energy you have, or how much experience you have raising puppies. If you are a full-time stay-at-home mom, and raising these two puppies together is something you really WANT to do, then I think you can do it. However, If you are already feeling overwhelmend having these pups for just a few days, and you aren't sure if you have the time or skills, then this may not be in the best intrest of anyone, pups included. Because puppy-rearing is at least a year long effort. This isn't going to get better any time soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thank you tracy for putting my mind at rest over Bo i just can't get over his hackles being up it looked like someone had brushed his fur the wrong way. I am a stay at home mum, and spend a large part of the day playing and training them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This is very had to say but i have to find Bo my weim a new home after he bit my kid 1st he bit her on the back of the arm when she said no he then went for her face she turned her head just in time he then crab her hair and stared to growl and pulled her of her chair(he wasnt playing i saw it all, he meant it) i crab him and had to put him in hes cage to carm him down. I have tried to find a wiem rescue but cant find, dose anyone in the UK know of any? this cant go on. I feel so bad about Bo but what els can i do, i cant have him bitting children.

·
Registered
27,212 Posts

Can you get the breeder to take back Bo? You have only had him for three weeks~ most responsible breeders have a first right of refusal in the sale contract. Did you sign such a contract?
I would first let the breeder know you are rehoming him if you didn't, as most would like to know where their pups end up...
Remember your pups are only 10 weeks, that is not aggression, but just puppy play. Bo needs to know that you, your kids and anyone else is the pack leader, not him or Ty. The hackeling may be a fear stage the pup is going thru, there is a lot of info on this in different threads, it is easy to do a search. Good luck:))

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts