German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so we have two GSD dogs, Echo who is 15 months, He is trained via a muscle stimulation collar. A generall well behaved bear of a dog. He's about 28 inches at this shoulder and 100lbs now.

The second is a recent addition a rescue girl Indigo, who is tiny in comparison, and about 50lbs.

We are having a BBQ on the 5th. I am purposly keeping it small two families with smaller children.

I told both families not to worry about the dogs, Echo is more than trained and controlled, and Indigo will be tethered to one of us at all times or in her crate.

one family with the 2 and 1 year old, thanked me, and didn't seem at all bothered by it.

the other family with the 9, 6 and 3 year old. Told me that they would prefer "both dogs be "put away" while they are there, because they are too big and will scare their kids."

Also noted this second family were at our bbq last year when echo was a puppy, and there were NO issues or mishaps or concerns to make them think wrongly of it all.

I basically told them "sorry you can't come".

Am I being the crazy dog lady again? My husband and I have high expectatios from both our dogs, but are realistic about controlling them. However we draw the line, and don't see any need to automatically Pen them in a room the entire day.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Id tell them not to come to.

Your house, your dog, your rules, your family.

·
Registered
945 Posts
my dogs are family and if you can't handle being around them then thats just too bad. we have had issues with that too.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
It's really too bad those parents are SO narrow minded. If it IS true that their kids are afraid of big dogs, what better time to get the kids around well behaved large dogs? It is in the kids best interest to get over their fear. Kids that are afraid of dogs are more likely to be bitten if they encounter a loose dog. In the past, I have seen kids literally run screaming from my leashed, kid loving dogs. If the dogs had been loose, even they would have given chase to screaming, running kids.

That said, obviously you can't control those parents and make them come over for the benefit of their children. I would have done the same thing. It is YOUR house, YOU make the rules and if they don't like the fact that your dogs are part of the family activities, they are free to stay home.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
My Dog Lives Here :

My dog lives in this house. You are welcome to come and visit me anytime
but we have a few things that you must understand before you visit.
I vacuum and clean daily but my dog lives in this house too.
You may be leaned on and find him in your lap a few times but he
does this because he loves people and wants to say hello. So if you
feel that you are too good for his love then you are not welcome here
because this is his home too.

My dog is well mannered and very clean but if you are one of those
people who think all animals are dirty and smell, then go away. You
are not the type of person that I care to associate with. If you don't
like the sound of barking, then my home is not going to be a comfortable
place for you to visit.

Do not expect me to lock my dog in another room during your visit. I
have trained my dog well so he will not do anything to you except
maybe want a pat on the head. I will not subject him to feel as
if he is being punished by locking him away for no reason. That would be cruel.

When you walk into my home, be careful not to trip on a stuffed toy or
ball. These are my dog's treasures and I will not take them away from
him just to show you that I keep a clean house. He knows where
all his toys are. They may not look like much to you, but to him, they
are worth more than gold.

You see, this is OUR home.
We have been together since he was a small puppy scampering around
the house. I raised him into well mannered, beautifully behaved dog.
I am proud of him. I consider him my personal gift from God.
He has done nothing but give me his endless love and devotion for many
years. I love him dearly and want to make his years happy ones. As
happy as he made mine.

When you go home to your family, he stays here with me. A fine and
loving companion. He is MY family and I wouldn't change that for the world.
When it was cold and there was no heat, we kept each other warm. When I
was sick, he stayed right by my side, as I did his when he
was not having a good day. A better friend I could not ask for.

When no one else cared, my dog did. He has given me nothing but
pure joy and I love him endlessly.
So please understand that I am not being rude. I'm just looking out for
my best friend. ****Author Unknown

Enough said

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Evverette, I think Im going to print that on some nice paper and hang it in my living room!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just can't get over the fact that the ones with the issues have actually met Echo twice last year.
and their kids are older.
Oh and they also have two small lap dogs at home.

meanwhile the other couple.. with babies have no concern at all.
& no dogs.

just amazed me.
Thanks for helping me think straight.

Im still miffed but at least I don't feel wrong about it all.

Im sure everyon with a GSD here knows, that if you don't invite them to the BBQ they get all pissy and might chew a couch or your car apart LOL

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
What Everett posted. Exactly! (I love that!!)

I don't think you're being 'the crazy dog lady' at all. Frankly, I think it's quite rude for someone who's been invited into your home to start stating preferences ahead of time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just sent my husband Everett's poem and put it on myspace.
I think Im going to put it on nice stationary, frame it and put it on my table by the front door.

lol

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
i agree with the above.
my dog is a part of my family.
if you won't come here to see me, well then, i guess we'll be having a different venue.

same thing is happening here.
my niece's birthday is on the 6th of july, and we want to have a little party. her 3 year old son is terrified of all dogs, dylan included. so instead of fussing over this & that, we just decided to have the party at someone else's house. no hurt feelings, and everyone will have a fun time. besides, the other person has a pool, quiot pits, and a big fancy grill

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uggg I need to move past this. Its all really silly.
If you saw how Echo was you'd know.
He lets his little tiny sister push him down and bite his neck.
That's how docile he is.

The worst thing he's ever done to any of us (husband, me, 14 year old son, and roomate) was turn his back on us when he was angry we were petting the girl or kicked him off the couch. LOL

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we just decided to have the party at someone else's house. no hurt feelings, and everyone will have a fun time. besides, the other person has a pool, quiot pits, and a big fancy grill

Woa... is their place open for the 5th.. LOL

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: Foo Lyn RooI just sent my husband Everett's poem and put it on myspace.
I think Im going to put it on nice stationary, frame it and put it on my table by the front door.

lol
Just to be clear, this is not mine. If you google "My Dog Lives Here" you will get lots of sites with the poem on it. And some of them have it in a nice format to print out onto nice stationary. In fact the link in my first post My Dog Lives Here
has a pretty nice layout.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
agreed!! screw them
I do the same thing

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Re: Help, Advice, opinion - Friends over.

My rule for my house and also going to other houses is Jesse stays with me.

We were invited to a neighbor BBQ last weekend and were told at that time Jesse could come he was the only dog invited... he went with us and was very well behaved but during the meal I had him on lead by me on a "down". Nobody is allowed in my house if they don't want Jesse around. Lucky for me I only have 1 person in family and friends that don't want to be around Jesse and that is my ass of a father-in-law so that is fine.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I guess for me it would just depend on the friend. If it was a really good friend then I would put the dogs up, but it would have to be a really really good friend.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You absolutely did the right thing. I think the only time I would put my dogs up is if someone was over that was allergic to pets...but I don't have any friends with pet allergies so not a problem.

My dogs are very well behaved and very social...now that doesn't mean I will let them get in people's faces if they aren't wanted, but I also won't put them up.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have the opposite problem, I have one dog who is less confident and is a little confused by people hovering over her and reaching over her head (why does EVERY person that approaches my dogs lean OVER them and reach OVER their heads?!?! They are my own dogs and I still crouch next to them and stroke their chests). I have asked everyone to please IGNORE her and let HER initiate the interaction and she will come over and be social. There are a few people, DH's family in particular, that just won't listen and continually barge straight up to her and try to grab her cheeks and kiss her forehead. People are coming over for a BBQ before I get home from work (which is annoying me to begin with, everyone just coming over whenever they feel like it and I'm still at work) and already I've had to remind DH to monitor the interactions and crate the dog if necessary. She is not in any way aggressive or overtly fearful, she just is aloof and prefers to meet strangers on her own terms.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeeze I guess the whole dogs and guests thing suckes at both spectrums! And I HATE IT when people don't listen to me when I ask them how to interact with Echo (mostly because Indigo is new to our home and have little visitors yet).

I always like to present him to people. He's eager to meet and greet but we want to train him to wait until I give permission.

Our new roomate is comming leaps and bounds with listening to my training methods though. Although two days ago she was telling me about two dogs she met at different times during the day, and how both owners told her not to pet them because they bite.

I was shocked. I said you tried to approach the dog without the owners permission? & She was like well yea, dogs naturally like me.
I could of smacked her hard on the forehead.

So I believe it when you have issues with your family approaching your dog like that.. some people are just thick headed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts