German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new owner of an eight week old female German Shep. Tonight she has thrown up three times in her crate. I have had her since this past Friday(today is April 14th). She has been a happy pup until tonight. I really have no idea what to make of it. I have not changed anything I have been doing. I am feeding the same food the breeder was. I am very worried at this point. I have a vet app. for this friday. Should I try to move it up? Any advice for this new owner is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
At that age I would be calling the vet as soon as they opened and telling them I need to get the pup in right away. How is she acting otherwise? Drinking? Going potty? Playing? Any pain when you touch her tummy? If any concern on any of these I'ld be calling now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took Angel in last night after she threw up 3 times. This being my first GSD I was not sure to do. She was diagnosed with parvo and giaurdia. I have only had her for 3 days. I was told she had it when she was sold to me. This is so heart wrenching! I stayed with her until I could not anymore till 3am. She stayed there for treatment. I am praying she is ok after.

I know I can count om my fellow members to give it to me straight... Does she stand a chance? Either way please wish her well. Thanks

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
im so sorry that your going through this! I would get on the phone with your breeder and talk to them ASAP!

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
If the puppy was sick when you bought it, why did you buy it? There are no lemon laws for puppies in Texas, so you're stuck if something happens. Regarding her chances? Depends on if she was recovering from or just coming down with parvo. Parvo can kill puppies quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Is there anything in the contract from your breeder, if there is one regarding this?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
It sounds like you got Angel to the vet pretty quickly - what does her doctor think her chances are?

IMHO you should contact her beeder as soon as possible and tell her that Angel has PARVO so she can warn the other puppy buyers to watch out for symptoms.

I'll keep your baby in my throughts and prayers!!!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angela_WIf the puppy was sick when you bought it, why did you buy it?
If I read the message properly, the puppy appeared to be healthy Friday when she purchased it. Angel started vomiting yesterday (Monday) when her owner posted asking about it.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I am glad you got Angel to the Vet last night. I am sorry to hear that she has Parvo and Giardia. Prayers going out to you and the pup.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
According to what I read on the link I will supply below there is an outside chance the pup didn't have it when you picked her up, but was exposed when you brought her home or on the way home. Did you take your pup to the Vet when you got her, most breeders want you to take your new pup to the Vet within 72 hours.
Quote:INCUBATION

The virus enters the body through the mouth as the puppy cleans itself or eats food off the ground or floor. A minuscule amount of infected stool is all it takes.

There is a 3-7 day incubation period before the puppy seems obviously ill.

This link has some great information.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/canine_parvovirus.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. I was not told this by the breeder. I was told this by the vet last night. Sorry for the confusion. I just saw her at the doggy hospital. She is looking a whole lot better. I know now that can change and can be the total opposite in an hour with this. They are doing more test to see how far the virus has attacked her system. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for all of the well wishes

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your new puppy. I hope she gets better soon.

In my opinion, that is a pretty poor breeder. Ours insisted (it was in the contract) that we take the puppy to the vets within the first 48 hours to be checked over for all problems.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Well it is a good sign that she is doing better. It appears that you got her to the Vet early in the disease process. Sending good thoughts to you and Angel..... Hang in there little pup.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts