German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 7 month old lab just laid down next to me on the couch and has a quarter size,hard protusion coming from his bellybutton scar. i've been massaging it to try and get it to go down or back in....cant get him in until morning to get it surgically repaired. will he be ok tonight or are there any tips on trying to get it back in safely so none of his tissue dies tonight? i even tried the emergency vet and they said they wouldnt be able to get him in until 9am tomorrow

·
2,967 Posts
Umbilical hernias are usually not a big deal unless they are pretty large and part of the intestine gets caught in the closure. We had a four month old pup with one about the size of a grape. Our vet said we could have it repaired at the same time he went under for neutering or Xrays, but that it wasn't urgent. Does it seem painful to him? It might just be some fluid that got caught in there and not necessarily surgical.

Although 7 months is a little late in the game to be dealing with one. Have your vet check it out but I don't know that I'd be running in for surgery...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he had the hernia repaired friday. he was already nuetered. we still dont know what he did to tear his bellybutton open in the first place. he never had any problems before that..it was over an inch long and very hard. i couldnt push it back through,thats why i was so worried. but hes doing fine now....thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts