German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rescued our puppy at 12wks old and she was so mellow and easy going but over the last 3mo's she has become crazy hyper and obnoxious. She has major separation anxiety i think. She is an indoor only dog and goes potty outside on a 4x10 foot faux grass pad. When she is with us inside, we can be sitting on the couch but as soon as i get up to walk into the other room or even into 6 ft away, she bolts past me running into me trying to get ahead of me. She jumps up into the air and just will not calm down unless I completely ignore her and leave the room. Also, she is chewing on my baseboards and door jambs inside and out and anything else she can get into. I'm feeling at a loss. Is this a normal behavior for a 7 mo old and will she calm down as she gets older? I feel helpless. I have tried training her and she is the most stubborn girl I've ever owned and we've had several dogs in the past over the last 25 yrs. I have even tried a light shock collar and she just ignores it and doesn't care. Thanks so much for any advice you can give. We are going to also look into professional training but right now I'm just wanting to know if this is normal. She is a very high strung dog and feel like major she needs to be on property somewhere with other dogs so she can run and play. My husband and I are working during the day and i feel like she also may not more attention that we can give her. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am a newer GSD owner myslef. In the past ive had Labs and Australian shepherds..My 1 year old male working line GSD that i have now is a handful compared to the other less energetic breeds i have had in the past.. I feel that my dog would be obnoxious and just like yours if i didn't let him run and play a lot everyday.. Thankfully i live out in the country and can let him wear himself out everyday without fear of getting himself into trouble or worse.. Like the old saying goes "a tired puppy is a good puppy".. I feel that applies more to GS dogs than a lot of other breeds..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is she a working line? Is she your first GSD?

They have a lot of energy and need to exercise, not just physically but also mentally. She's still a puppy so of course she will be a lot to handle but it's worth it. They are wonderful.

In my opinion though you shouldn't use a light shock collar. Look for a professional trainer, dog walker, dog sitter, I don't know. GSDs have a lot of potential and its really sad when it all gets lost. You should do it (professional training) as soon as you can, if you think she has separation anxiety.

I am editing this just to ask, is she an indoor only dog?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
German Shepherds are a working breed. As a rule, in order to work, they are bred to have a good amount of sustained energy. Puppies will have even more energy and exercise requirements. How are you meeting her exercise needs?

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Sounds like your puppy is well past due for an introduction to the LEASH. YOU MUST REGAIN CONTROL....

·
Registered
32,716 Posts
There is nothing abnormal here. Your young dog needs training and to learn impulse control. She needs rules and consistency. Where are you located at? Maybe someone here can recommend a trainer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts