German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My puppy, Duke, freaks when another small dog comes near. He yanks and pulls, yips and barks, generally goes ape. He's good at the dog park with other big dogs because he got nipped the first time for being overly rambunctious with an older big dog. Now, he plays and greets other dogs nicely and respectfully. But not when my friends are around with their small dogs, in our neighborhood. I can hardly hold him back, he's so big(55 lbs) that I'm worried he will hurt the smaller dogs. What can I do? He's been to puppy class and was like that there, too, until he got used to the others. I know you're supposed to let them greet without pulling on the leash, but he's not careful. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think it is the prey drive that kicks in - those mighty little dogs come charging out - then usually squeal - it is just too much for some dogs - they just want to chase them. I would keep Duke away from them - no meet and greets with the little dogs. It helps to curve around - turn suddenly - everything to keep your Duke concentrated on following you - and then reward him with a tasty treat when he does. My Sting is like your Duke only twice as big - so I know the curving and sudden direction changes work - I use a front ring harness and keep him on heel when there are those tempting little dogs out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts