German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am a first time dad and have a few questions. I just got my puppy Kato this Saturday and I am a little concerned about his eating habits. On Saturday I fed him once we got home and he ate really well but yesterday he didnt eat very much, barely picked at his food. I am not sure that he is as playful as he should be for an 8 week old puppy. Im hoping its just because he is just getting used to being away from his littermates still and that he will turn around soon. He weighs close to 20lbs and is up to date on his shots and is AKC registered so I dont believe he is sick but please any help would be great.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When a new pup comes home, it's a great idea to go for a vet visit. He will be checked for parasites, evaluated and given shots if necessary. These little guys can go south fast, so make an appointment soon.

Have you changed his food or is he still on what the breeder was feeding? It's usually suggested to slowly introduce a new food to not upset their stomachs. His weight sounds good for his age.

Young pups are like babies in that they sleep alot. Short periods of play then a nap, so don't be concerned if he seems to sleep alot. For a while it seems like they have 2 gears, wide open and stop.

Stick around, lots of great information here!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im actually taking him in today for a vet visit. I did not keep him on the same food. I was aware of slowly introducing him to new foods but I went and got him what I've heard of being a better fold choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Young pups are like babies in that they sleep alot. Short periods of play then a nap, so don't be concerned if he seems to sleep alot. For a while it seems like they have 2 gears, wide open and stop.

I was thinking this.

Also, he's lived his whole life in one place with his brothers and sisters. I'd give him a couple weeks to adapt to his new environment.

3 pieces of unsolicited advice
1. establish a routine
2. establish firm boundaries and do not waiver
3. exercise exercise exercise

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I kept my pup on the same food as breeder, even though it wasn't something I would have chosen. Bought 1 big bag and started weaning when there was just enough of it left. I felt like it was enough newness and change, he could eat lower grade kibble for a month

Also, something that happened with mine: breeder said wet the kibble so I did. But it for some reason if you put too much water on this stuff it turned to glue, literally. He got so frustrated trying to get it up off the bottom of the bowl he would just give up and not eat. I figjred out real quick not to let it get like that and he ate likea champ when it wasn't glue, and has never turned his nose up at a meal in his life (10 whopping months so far)

·
Registered
21 Posts
When i got my pups, with both of them i made feeding fun and enjoyable. it took forever to feed however, because i did it one piece of food at a time. ( we feed raw ) place a small piece of food down. about 16 inches away another small piece of food and 16 inches again, and again. either me or the kids were at the end of the food so coming to us became natural and somewhat a reward. the dog was heavily praised and they learned to sniff out things at an early age. for me, it's anything we can do with the kids and dogs to build that bond. All families are different, this is just what mine did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts