German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pup will be 10 weeks tomorrow, we have had him since he was 6 weeks. (I know now that that was too early). He has been growling and snapping at my daughters from time to time (3 and 6). It is over toys, bones, food or water. He does it if they grab his collar. He will do it to me as well sometimes, but I pin him down and say NO! I am teaching my kids to not take things from him, leave him alone when eating and drinking etc. But this is unacceptable in my home. I dont know what to do. I cant seem to find helpful information on it. I need to know exactly what I should do when he does this. Should I be pinning him down on the floor? (I am not hurting him at all) Is this as big a concern as I think it is? I plan on doing puppy classes that start at 10 weeks of age, and taking my 6 yr old with me. Can this behavior be stopped? Is it normal for puppies to act like this? His parents were both 95 lbs and I do not want a 95 lb dog who is aggressive at all. My 6 yr old is sweet as pie and the perfect dog in my opinion. She never, ever even growls at my kids. What do you think? Should I get professional help? Do you know what I should do when this happens? He is crate trained and does not have free reign in the house. He is supervised when out, but these things still manage to happen. We have a lot of people at home sometimes and it can get chaotic. HELP

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would talk to a trainer and have a home visit. With such a young pup, I wouldn't do the alpha rollover. I don't think the pup understands what he is doing wrong. He is just a baby himself. Also, I do think that your children should not bother the pup when he is eating, drinking, napping. If they are too young to understand, then the pup should be fed in his crate. Also, I would use a baby gate to have the pup in one room where he can eat, drink, nap, and the children can't bother him. I would also talk to the breeder. It is possible this pup may turn out to be a dog that will not do well with children. The pup is young and can be rehomed. You may want to conisder an older dog that you know does well with children.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
It can be very normal for pups to " talk back" when corrected. My puppy will bark at me when I tell him "No" it is normal.

Without seeing your pup in action it is not possible to tell you if you are dealing with normal puppy jerkiness or true aggression. What I can say is that 10 week old pups rarely are truly aggressive. I can only go from from my experience raising multiple working line GSD.

Everyone if them has been bratty, pushy, barky and a bit snappy at some point.

It is all in how you handle it. If you get worked up, frustrated, angry, things get worse. Teach the kids how to redirect, correct if needed ( which should be a firm "no" followed by shoving a toy in his mouth) and how to stay calm.

My pup hates for me to hold him by the collar. He will buck and fight. I stay calm, keep holding it and wait for him to give. Then it gets let go.

Talk with a trainer, go to puppy classes, keep socializing and setting appropriate expectations and boundaries and things should be fine.

That said, bratiness gets worse before better. Puppies get brattier and mouthier before they settle. Make sure everyone in the family is equipped to handle the terror that is a GSD puppy.

Good luck!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The pinning can increase his reactions like that. You put your hands on him, he may think its okay to put his teeth on you - at this point. He sounds like he doesnt realize you and your family are the ones giving him his bones, toys, water. NILIF is something you might want to look up Nothing in Life is Free

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Based on what you said this is not the right pup for you.

This pup is not going to turn into what you want no matter what you do and you are only going to end up trying to re-home an adolescent dog at some point. In my opinion.

Sure, there's tons of stuff you can do but it takes work, time, and patience,and an inexperienced home with two young children is not the right place for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you to everyone who responded. I really do not want to get rid of him. Should the breeder take him back? I paid a lot of money for this guy, and my kids ( 3,6,13,15) all love him.

He does not do this all the time, but enough to concern me. He is very smart and wants to please me. So gdssar , I should be redirecting him and saying no? Should I have my 6 yr old working with him? I figured that would help the situation if he saw her as a leader. Or should I keep them separated? Thats almost impossible. My 3 yr old just screams and runs. I try to keep her separate. Of course he wants to chase her.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Does your pup have a pedigree that you could post. I can't help with that but there are people on here who can and sometimes the pedigree can be an indicator of what is to come.

I'm concerned with a breeder who lets the pups go that young. Makes me wonder what else they may have taken shortcuts on.

Everyone loves puppies and doesn't want to get rid of them but you have very young children.

The puppy is so young it's hard to say what is right.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
It is tough with young kids. They do not have the capacity to understand that their behavior can be the cause of a puppies bad behavior.

I would have the 3yo feed the dog and maybe help with brushing and stuff, but other than that not too much exposure during the obnoxious puppy behavior. Your 6yo should be old enough to understand how to respond to bad behavior. Teach him/her to stay still when the puppy acts up/grabs clothes/barks/growls and have him/her call for a parent to step in.

Kids are amazingly exciting for young dogs, they screech, run, tug, drag, flop and behave like the greatest live action toy. To a pup they are endless fun. To a child, endless bites and scary.

A tired pup is a good pup. You and your spouse should be tiring the puppy out with lots of play, mental exersise, and stimulation before allowing them be around the kids.

A fun game the whole family can play is the recall roundabout. Put the pup on a very long leash and have the family stand in a circle and call the pup and treat when the pup comes. It's fun.

You and your spouse need to make sure the pup understands that the baby human demands respect. He should learn to give him/her a few feet distance. That means, during all interaction, you guys are there. And if the pup gets overwhelming, bitey over stimulated, you two jump in, correct with a "no" and with your body ( to back him off) and then reward with a treat or toy.

Your puppy is 10 weeks old. He is learning. He is trying to figure out his place. You have very young kids. Kids, by nature are in your face, loud, annoying and, yeah kids. Teach the pup respect, the kids respect and you will be rewarded with a dog that loves your kids

One more thing. Don't allow your kids, of any age, to bug the puppy when eating,drinking, or sleeping. Everyone needs to learn boundaries. The pup needs to learn that the kids bring good things, not bother, teasing or over exuberant play. It's a two way street.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
OMG folks this is a puppy. This is not a temperament issue it is a training issue.

Keep the 3 year old away from the puppy. She is too young to know how to deal. 6 year old should only be around puppy when she is supervised closely. If you can't keep kids and puppy separate, then re home the puppy.

You can send him to me, I'll take him. ;)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What does the breeder say?

It is very odd to see resource guarding in a puppy that young. THere is a very good book on resource guarding called, "Mine!" For now you can put him in his crate when he's got a high value resource like a bone and be sure to do a lot of trading up, teaching him that when he gives you something he gets something better in return.

Until you can get the resource guarding under control I would keep him separate from your kids. Just keep him leashed to you at all times when he's out of his crate so that you can control him.

Do NOT pin him on the floor--that can escalate the behavior and it's really not very effective at anything except making the dog think you're unpredictable and scary.

I think you also need to start Nothing in Life is Free right away, even if he's just sitting for everything and make sure everyone in the family is on the same page with training.

And make sure he is getting lots of exercise and multiple, short training sessions every day.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
No offense, but a 10 week old puppy is too young to for NILIF. He is a BABY. Thus is not a dominance issue. It's a BABY issue. Babies will be babies. Lets not treat them all as dominant 2yo GSD. He is a baby. Give him a chance to learn first.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
No offense, but a 10 week old puppy is too young to for NILIF. He is a BABY. Thus is not a dominance issue. It's a BABY issue. Babies will be babies. Lets not treat them all as dominant 2yo GSD. He is a baby. Give him a chance to learn first.

:thumbup: Not only a baby but one that was taken from his family at 6 weeks. He doesn't know how to act. He is scared. He talks and bites, its his only way to try to communicate.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It may be rare but there are
Puppies with serious temperament issues. It could be nothing more than a feisty puppy talking or it could be a potential serious problem as he grows. Now is the time to find a really good trainer that is highly recommended and has a lot experience with German shepherds. Get someone in to actually take a look at him and see his behavior first hand, instead of relying on guesses from the board. When it comes to large dogs and kids, I say play it safe. Get help now so that it doesn't become a bigger problem later.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with having a puppy work for attention or food. Even at 10 weeks he can sit before eating, sit before pets, before going out the door etc.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
OMG folks this is a puppy. This is not a temperament issue it is a training issue.

Keep the 3 year old away from the puppy. She is too young to know how to deal. 6 year old should only be around puppy when she is supervised closely. If you can't keep kids and puppy separate, then re home the puppy.

You can send him to me, I'll take him. ;)
You can't possibly KNOW this for sure. I'm sorry but I've seen many puppies taken from a litter early with zero food aggression/resource guarding/ issues wih you grabbing their collar.

Sure, maybe it's nothing. But she has two very small children in the house and to blow it off with such little knowledge about the individual puppy, breeder, owner etc. is irresponsible advice.

OP where are you located? Maybe someone could refer you to a good trainer/behaviorist.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

Oh gah I cant believe I missed the 10 weeks part, my bad.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Capone22. I respectfully disagree. Asking a 10 week old puppy to respond to NILiF is like asking asking a 5 yo human to understand Congress.

They do not have the full capacity to understand yet. We need, as owners and caretakers, to teach them how to learn, how to be independent and dependant at the same time, how to respect and enjoy their human family,

It is NOT all about teaching who is boss. This is a baby baby. They should not be expected to have the mental ability and understanding as an older dog.

Personally I feel a bit sad for the puppy that gets thrown in to a dictatorship without being allowed to learn and grow and make mistakes and have fun, and bite and chew and be rotten.

Do we "ground" 4 yo humans because they talk back? NO. Babies are babies no matter the species. Patience, redirection and control of the environment are best.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts