German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to the forums. Not entirely new to GSD, though my only experience with them was a rescue who was about four years old. Sweet dog, brooked absolutely no BS or threat, but just lovable as could be. Wanted nothing more than to sit with me and nap with me when I got home from the firehouse.

Grew up with huskies (big sweet howly knuckleheads), english sheepdog (floofy baby, such a sweet pup), chows (aggression machines sadly, all of the ones we had no matter what we did), and random mutts (almost all sweet to a one).

Getting a GSD pup from Traumwolfen kennels this summer. Excited to have a new sweet dog to bond with and for my kiddos to play with, and to help protect the family.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sweet dog, brooked absolutely no BS or threat, but just lovable as could be. Wanted nothing more than to sit with me and nap with me when I got home from the firehouse.
All I can say is that German Shepherd pups are quite a bit a work compared to a mellowed out adult! Be prepared for lots of work and attention to keep them satisfied :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can say is that German Shepherd pups are quite a bit a work compared to a mellowed out adult! Be prepared for lots of work and attention to keep them satisfied :)

I'm sure that's very true. I raised a labrador from 8 weeks, and I can tell you this was the most hyper dog I have ever seen. Two separate professional trainers literally gave up on her. She stayed a puppy until the day she died, literally; she was 12 years old and still just a maniac. I had her well trained but her energy level did not ever taper off. A good friend of mine raises labs and hunts with them and he couldn't believe her energy levels in old age. I know how high energy dogs can be.

I also have two boys; 3 and 7, who are maniacs. So hopefully the pup and the boys can help tire each other out lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
want to inspire your boys to work with their new pup? Here's a girl and her dad doing just that. Seems like the dog loves "his" girl.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm sure that's very true. I raised a labrador from 8 weeks, and I can tell you this was the most hyper dog I have ever seen. Two separate professional trainers literally gave up on her. She stayed a puppy until the day she died, literally; she was 12 years old and still just a maniac. I had her well trained but her energy level did not ever taper off. A good friend of mine raises labs and hunts with them and he couldn't believe her energy levels in old age. I know how high energy dogs can be.

I also have two boys; 3 and 7, who are maniacs. So hopefully the pup and the boys can help tire each other out lol.
It's not so much the puppy energy level that folks struggle with, its when that energy is coupled with relentless biting and attitude that pushes people's limits. This can be especially true in a household with kids. If you are not familiar with "redirecting" it would be a "good to know" before puppy arrives.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not so much the puppy energy level that folks struggle with, its when that energy is coupled with relentless biting and attitude that pushes people's limits. This can be especially true in a household with kids. If you are not familiar with "redirecting" it would be a "good to know" before puppy arrives.

Thank you! Familiar with it for sure. Definitely something my lab had, they are mouthy and bitey as could be. I don't know how they compare to GSD pups but that lab wasn't happy unless she had something in her mouth, be it her rope or a bone or your hand lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts