German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice, I'm new to the group and have a 14 week old husky/german shepherd puppy whos becoming a nightmare with teething. he gets too boisterous. he's clamping down and drawing blood. iv tried everything I can think of, timeouts, convincing him with toys but he just drops it and comes straight back for me. iv tried ignoring him, he just jumps and bites wherever he can get too.

I will shout and smack his bum for it but can anyone recommend another method or any help? I know its a controversial topic but nothing else seems to work.

thank you

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your puppy is adorable. At this age the best thing IMHO to get the puppy to stop targeting you is to give him something he CAN chew on. Lead him and engage him in playing with the toy. I used 1 gallon milk jugs or plastic juice or soda bottles for this a lot, and the floor was littered with them for whenever my puppy got the urge to bite something. The key is to make the toy/thing animated and engaging. Puppies just bite, it's what they do. But yelling and swatting him for it will set up a sort of adversarial relationship with your puppy that you really don't want, as it can become a problem when they're older. Another thing that's worth mentioning is that when the puppy gets tired they often get even more bitey, so make sure he's getting plenty of naps as well (in his crate or x-pen or whatever you use to contain him). Good luck, and again, welcome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts