German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm getting a sheprador (german shepherd/labrador) next month, in December, and I'd like to know the things that I need to know, and need to have before I receive my puppy. I'd also like to know how long I'd need to have him sleeping inside the house until he's big enough to sleep outside.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Hi, I'm getting a sheprador (german shepherd/labrador) next month, in December, and I'd like to know the things that I need to know, and need to have before I receive my puppy. I'd also like to know how long I'd need to have him sleeping inside the house until he's big enough to sleep outside.
It sounds to me that you have a lot of reading to do. There are no easy answers to everything you must have for your puppy but you must be mentally and emotionally ready also and I fear you are not.

As far as when a dog is ready to stay outside I couldn't tell you because I would never have an outside dog but I can tell you it has nothing to do with the size of your dog as you have asked..

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well that depends on a lot of things, like where you live, what kind of shelter the dog will have, etc. I've had dogs that slept outside, but they had access to the garage at all times. When they were little, they slept in the garage at night and weren't allowed freedom to go out until about 6 mos. Do you plan on building a kennel or do you have a fenced yard? I had my pups sleep in a crate next to my bed for the first 4 weeks or so, then moved the crates to a different part of the house. If you don't want your dog inside at all, I would crate him in the garage until he's older.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm hoping the shepherd/lab cross was a mistake and not a designer breeding. And, secondly, why wouldn't you want your buddy, your pal to be indoors with you at night? Just wondering...

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Interesting mix, a lab loves everyone, horrible gaurding dog, and a complete different temp from a GSD who are suspisious/aloof with strangers and are excellent gaurd dogs. I would love to see what happens with your new pup as they grow.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome!!

I think you should read up and research both GSD and Labs. You will not know what characteristics are from which breed until you get your puppy so it is better to learn about both breeds. He may show more characteristics of one of the two breeds over the other so it is best to be prepared. As far as putting him outside he needs to be at least 6 months before he stays outside and then he needs to still go into a kennel/crate/garage to protect him. I would try to make it work where he could stay inside for as long as possible if not permanently.

Reactions: Laurie B

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting the puppy on Sunday since my friend (the breeder) said that she had to give the puppies to the shelter due to an emergency that came up. But her dog had another litter 4 weeks ago and so I'm going to buy the "K-I-S-S Guide to living with a dog" book to refresh my mind on having a pup again. I posted a separate post about wanting to know if 4 weeks is too early. Please check it out. It'd be VERY helpful. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm hoping the shepherd/lab cross was a mistake and not a designer breeding. And, secondly, why wouldn't you want your buddy, your pal to be indoors with you at night? Just wondering...
I personally want my pal to sleep close to me (inside, preferably in my room) but my parents hate dogs inside the house. So it's their call. :/

But i'm going to see if I can convince them to let the puppy be indoors with me at night.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
unfortunately your 'friend' isn't someone I'd be getting a puppy from if they turned a whole litter over to the shelter previously..ER or not, why not place them out vs sending them to a shelter? Didn't they have homes lined up already?

And if your parents do not want a dog in the house, you maybe should rethink getting a puppy..A puppy really shouldn't be outside by itself overnite .

Get a crate, keep the crate in your room, or wait until you can have one live inside.
Not fair to a young puppy to be left outside:(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unfortunately your 'friend' isn't someone I'd be getting a puppy from if they turned a whole litter over to the shelter previously..ER or not, why not place them out vs sending them to a shelter? Didn't they have homes lined up already?

And if your parents do not want a dog in the house, you maybe should rethink getting a puppy..A puppy really shouldn't be outside by itself overnite .

Get a crate, keep the crate in your room, or wait until you can have one live inside.
Not fair to a young puppy to be left outside:(
Yeah, I'm going to have him in a crate in my room, hopefully, for good.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
that will be GOOD..to many things can happen to a puppy left outside by itself

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm really scared what would happen to him if he's left outside. Especially that I saw numerous stories about German Shepherds getting stolen from HOUSES. :/

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I know how hard it can be to love dogs and desperately want a puppy, but live at home with a family that really doesn't want a dog.

I urge you to wait until the time is right for you and for when you can offer a puppy the kind of home that they all deserve to have: a place in the house, loved and wanted by all and with an owner that can afford to provide all needed care and training. I don't mean to be harsh, but this just doesn't sound like your situation.

How old are you? Maybe a better choice for you right now would be to spend some time volunteering at a shelter where you can get a huge amount of doggy love and help some needy animals find new homes? You would be able to learn so much and it would be wonderful preparation for when you ARE ready to open your own home and heart to a puppy of your own.
Sheilah

1 - 14 of 14 Posts