German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My fiancée and I have a shepherd/lab mix named Sadie and we are looking into getting a GSD puppy. We live in CT and I was wondering if there are any reputable breeders in the area (I would be willing to go throughout New England) that could be recommended. I will not buy from anyone who does not OFA their stock. Although OFA does not guarantee a HD free pup, I think it is the best way to improve the odds of getting a puppy without hip issues. I would like to get a puppy from someone that works their dogs, search and rescue, schutzhund, PP, anything that showcases the dogs abilities. I think these dogs offer so much and not to put their abilities to work would be a shame. I don't plan on doing any schutzhund or PP competition with the dog, but the dog must pass a courage test (as an adult) as I'm looking for a home guardian.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to learning about this breed from you.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Hi eddie, I'm in CT, welcome to the board. Are you interested in a certain 'line' of dog or open to anything?

I don't quite know what you mean by passing a "courage test" as an adult..? There's no way to predict how puppies will turn out, to many factors involved.. A good bark is a nice deterrent when it comes to a gsd.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Diane! I know some breeds have breed specific courage tests where an "attacker" approaches in a threatening manner and the behavior of the dog is evaluated. Does the dog cower behind the handler or is the dog at the end of the leash barking and trying to get at the attacker? This shows the dogs "courage". If the dog cowers, it does not pass. I would imagine there is a GSD specific test?? Not sure since I have not researched the breed too much. I realize it would be hard to determine as a puppy, but if the genetics of the parents are known we can infer the puppies will have similar traits. If the parents are shy and fear biters, odds are the puppies will have similar temperament. I think a dog ought to be able to do what it was designed for, a retriever should retrieve, a GSD should herd/protect, Doberman should protect, etc.

I don't know much about German lines vs American lines, as long as the dog has a solid temperament, has good hips, and can be a family protector, I don't care which lines it is from. Now if there are some lines that are better suited for my needs, I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks

Eddie

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
ahh your talking about a Temperment Test,,couple of orgs do this,,ATTS,(which I go thru) and the gsdca club has one I believe,,I usually see an ad for it during the summer one of the gsd clubs new haven way holds one..

There's alot of breeders in these parts, I suggest visiting as many as you can, to get an idea of what you like and don't like.

one that comes to mind, vonryanhaus in MA..a few board members here have her dogs, I had a male from von hena=c out of NH, that was the 'perfect' dawg:) right now I have a girl (my avatar) who's grandfather was out of a von hena c dog. Those are working/czech lines by the way..

There are ALOT, I just don't tend to keep up with am line breeders in my area anymore..Hopefully others will chime in with some recommendations.

I know there are a couple of good breeders RI way as well..Names escape me at the moment:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome- good to see that you're doing your research first! I'm originally from CT too- Westport. Now I'm in TX and it couldn't be any more different.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Stosh, it snowed here today:((((

Eddie, something else I thought of, and I have no idea of how reputable or anything, but there seems to be breeders posting on EBAY CLASSIFIEDS,,,go there, punch in your zip code and see what pops up:)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have no breeder advice but wanted to say welcome! Glad your doing our homework, you can learns lots here.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Snow already??!! We had 72 and sunny here in TX! There's a poster here named FatBoy4Ever and he just recently lost the dog love of his life. He's in CT but got his dog Enya from a breeder in RI. Maybe you can get in touch with him and find out who the breeder is- they came to visit when Enya died- they sound like wonderful people and their dogs look exceptional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts