German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Mary and I brought home my 8-week old GSD on Monday. His name is Hank. He weighs 15.5 pounds. I am a first time dog owner (I'm in my 40s however), and chose a GSD after having the privilege of knowing two of them for the last 6 years. In fact, Hank is great-nephew to those two. In any case, the last 6 days have been somewhat overwhelming. I want to do everything right. We are starting puppy class but not for another 4 weeks. Hank is very good overall and very good at potty already and a good sleeper at night, but he wants to chew everything (normal, right?) and the last few days he has been getting pretty serious about nipping at my hands. Any advice on that? I have been giving him a stern "NO BITE" command and holding the scruff of his neck until he stops (not to cause pain, just to get his attention). I'm sure I will have a lot more questions and I am very grateful to have found this forum. I would love to hear any and all advice for first-time owners.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Hello and welcome!

My suggestion is your start teaching Bite Inhibition. There's a thread on it somewhere in the puppy subforum.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Welcome! You have come to the right place, lots of great people on here to help you out! I agree with the above post, the Bite Inhibition thread is the place to start!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, I am fairly new here also. It is a great place to find answers to
all the questions you are going to have. It has been very helpful to me.:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome- great name! You'll find a lot of info on biting, it's perfectly natural and something that simply must be done. I have to give you credit for picking a gsd as your 1st dog, you certainly jump in there with both feet don't you? It can be so frustrating, exasperating, mind boggling, but every moment of pain- and there will be pain- is so worth the love, devotion and grandeur of the gsd. They take dog to a whole different level. Congratulations on your new pup and enjoy!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, and all of your photos are beautiful. I did spend some time on the Bite Inhibition thread, and Hank seems to respond very well to me "yiping," much more so than the scruffing. I then let him mouth my fingers gently which he did a few times and I reinforced him by saying, "gentle." So I guess every dog responds differently to bite correction methods, or maybe different methods work at different stages of their development. Today is the first day I have to go back to work, so I am feeling guilty and anxious about that, too, and again the forums are helpful and tell me he will just sleep. But I still hate to leave him!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
first off welcome!!! Most everyone here is very helpful and has experience in various things so you'll find a wealth of information here that you cant find anywhere but from people who have GSDs. Its great. As far as the biting i have no advice for you except for read the Bite Inhibition Thread previously mentioned. Shasta is 6 months old and we didnt really have biting issues but she also has my two other GSDs to chew on. Not that she always does. GSD for your first dog... thats brave!!! My first GSD was actually our mix Riley who is 6 now. Congrats on your boy! cant wait to see pictures!!! He'll be fine in the crate while you're at work. just remember, to take him outside immediately when you get home!!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Welcome. Hank sounds normal with
the nipping. i used the same method
as you with the nipping. i'm not sure it worked
or if he just grew out of the nipping stage, lol.
start socializing your pup. train and socialize everyday
and several times a day.

when you're away from home you could
find a sitter to come in and help with
breaks, treats and feeding. plus the pup
will have some company throughout the day.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your comments. :) I chose a GSD because my kids have two of them at their Dad's house, and I really can't imagine wanting any other dog. And I have to tell you, right now I think that 150-lb and 110-lb dog that my kids have are a lot easier than this pup! LOL. So I do want to say I have lots of experience with GSD's as adults, but I have never had a puppy. Thanks again for the advice and I am sure I will have many more questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts