German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here. Just rescued a GSD pup about two months ago and decided he is nothing like the breed im use to raising (rottweilers) and figured I should get some knowledge on them. He recntly had to have some very extensive vet care one of which was a front leg amputation but hes doing great now but were still having some problems with him behavior and digestive wise. So if anyone has any tips theyd be greatly appreciated Thanks!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome!! My last dog was a rottie too, and they are definitely night and day! Could you go into a bit more detail about what's going on with your boy? That way people can give some relevant advice.

PS - we like pictures!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad he's recovering from his amputation, lots of good info here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh yes big difference. He seems to have started having constant loose stools the last week and a half. The vet cant seem to find the reason no worms, infection, food change nothing just doesnt make sense it started out of nowhere. Also cant get him to gain anymore weight though he was only 22 pounds at almost 5 months when we got him but now hes going on 7 months and only weighs 38 pounds hip bones ribs everything showing very confused.

·
2,967 Posts
Since the poop problems have only been going on for a week or so...my gut says that there was some kind of irritation/viral/something he ate in the yard/etc. Generally I will fast my dogs for 24 hours, clear out the system, and then give then a bland diet like rice, a little boiled chicken, and some canned pumpkin. Slowly adding back in the kibble over about a week or so. This will sooth the digestive tract and allow everything to start working normally again.

While 38lbs at 7 months is small for a GSD (I see you rescued, is there any possibility there could be some mix in there?), a 14lb increase in weight over 2 months is not terrible.

Also something to consider is that GSDs are not built like Rottweilers. Rotties have that big barrel chest with a broad flat back. Many Shepherds that I have seen have a much narrower frame and it's not until they start to fill out later in life that they lose that skeletal look. I would need to see some pictures to more clearly evaluate your puppy.

These are some pictures of my dogs when they were 7 month old as a reference point.

Argos was a little heavier than I would like. He could probably have lost a few lbs in this picture.

Anka. She was a naturally slender dog. She didn't start to put on size until she was 18 months.

Cade

Tag

If it continues...
Have you or your vet considered EPI? or maybe SIBO?

http://www.globalspan.net/epi.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No i'm almost 100% sure hes full blood the vet said so and we rescued him from an individual not a shelter who surprisingly still had his papers. Hes growing very fast though but only in height really not weight. He was said to be 20 pounds or more underweight when we got him but now only about 10 pounds underweight but its like hes stopped putting on weight. My vet is completely flustered as to what the problem is. Weve cured everything from mange to ear infections worms etc and she doesnt have a clue. Now he does eat everything so maybe it is something he ate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
How many of cups of what type of food does he eat a day? Maybe up his food and mix in rice, meats, and canned foods after his tummy issues are gone that is:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He eats about 5 cups of blue buffalo a day but I've tried adding things to it like yogurt n rice and it just gets worse

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Maybe for now fast him for 24 hrs. and then stick to just rice and chicken for a week slowly adding his kibble back in over a 2 week period?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'd go with what ZoeysMom says. There have been several posts from people saying Blue Buffalo has been causing loose stools. You might look up the recipe for satin balls and make them, they're great for weight gain.

Where are you in TX? I'm in Tyler. Welcome and thanks for giving your boy a good home

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can I just say to the original poster....a HUGE OVERWHELMING THANK YOU for rescuing this dog..... a lot of people are a little anxious about rescues as a whole, then add in the breed bias and on top of that the medical issues. And you opened your heart to all of those and saved this handsome fellow...
I just thought I'd jump in here and say THANK YOU for caring so much about him. I'll send a prayer up for him that his health improves quickly.

By the way, how old is the pup and what's his name? I would assume Duke by the post name but could be wrong :blush:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im from the panhandle Amarillo. yes hes basically had every medical issue you could think of. Our vet calls him murphys law lol. But hes recovering very well his name is Marmaduke but we usually call him duke for short.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I feel blue buffalo and a lot of fosters I have dont do well on it. It can DEFINETLY cause loose stools..a little too rich for some. I would feed a bland diet and switch to a new kibble and see if this helps, GSD are also prone to food allergies.. Do you mind me asking why he had to have the amputation. You are an amazing person for taking him on, he is gorgeous by the way :)! Thanks for saving him and WELCOME :)!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
His last owner was very abusive to him from what he told me he had got the pup when he was 8 weeks for his wife she wasnt too happy with it puppy got annoying pushed him out the truck when he was 9 weeks ended up with what he guessed was a hurt leg. He kicked him when he barked thats what caused the broken ribs and such. He left the break alone for 6 weeks which ended up getting infected Duke as any normal dog tried to take care of the wound himself ending in alot of deep wounds the guy tied it to a stick cutting off circulation so by the time we found him six weeks later he had no circulation to his bottom part of his leg and gangrin so our vet had to amputate.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I can never understand how a person can be so cruel to a dog or any animal for that matter. Thankfully Duke has a great home now with you. :D

I feed Blue Buffalo and in the beginning my GSD had loose stools. But now that I've switched her from a chicken formula to the BB Basics Salmon and Potato formula, no more problems. I also cut out all chicken...I used to use chicken for training treats but now I use ground beef with the grease drained off. And she is doing great! :)

Also, she is about 15 months old and is still on the lanky/thin side. I know it usually takes GSD's (and a lot of other dogs) awhile to totally fill out. If your dog is healthy now and no more health issues, than I wouldn't worry about him putting on weight since he is still young...it will happen. Since he just went through a major surgery, I bet his body is using all the calories it can for healing.

He is a cutie!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thats so sad!! I cant believe anyone could do that to a dog. You are a saint for taking him in and fixing him up.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
His last owner was very abusive to him from what he told me he had got the pup when he was 8 weeks for his wife she wasnt too happy with it puppy got annoying pushed him out the truck when he was 9 weeks ended up with what he guessed was a hurt leg. He kicked him when he barked thats what caused the broken ribs and such. He left the break alone for 6 weeks which ended up getting infected Duke as any normal dog tried to take care of the wound himself ending in alot of deep wounds the guy tied it to a stick cutting off circulation so by the time we found him six weeks later he had no circulation to his bottom part of his leg and gangrin so our vet had to amputate.
OMG, it baffles me that there are people out there who would do such things! You are a amazing for helping this handsome boy, He truly deserves the awesome home you have given him after everything he went through as a baby.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts