German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to german shepherds, and am no dog expert by any means. My wife and I were given what we were told was a purebred german shepherd puppy (7 weeks old). Again, I'm no dog expert, but I've seen GSD puppies before, and this looked like one to me at the time.

After we got home with him I started researching them more, and now I'm starting to think maybe he is a belgian malinois. At 7 weeks old, he was 9 pounds. He is now 9 weeks old and 11 pounds. I've read that a GSD should be around 20-25 pounds by now. What do you guys think? Can you tell by looking?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
where did you read they were supposed to be so much by a certain age?!?!

my current pup is 12 weeks old purebred from a reputable breeder. at his last vet check he was just under 13 lbs. don't follow the charts you find. there's no set weight chart for pups, just like with kids and people. Each one is different and it depends on their lineage as well.

As for your pup, he's not a malinois and I would only venture to say he's MAYBE a GSD mix. Hard to tell for sure at this age but I am confident in saying that's no malinois.

adorable pup no matter what.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Not sure about the mixture but he is so tiny and cute and makes the perfect snuggle buddy right now, congrats...

·
Registered
169 Posts
So cute! Too soon to make a call. We adopted from a shelter and thought we had a sable GSD but pretty sure we ended up with a Mal, so I'm quite familiar with the guessing game. Time will tell.... Have fun with him!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Here is an updated pic from this morning. 9-1/2 weeks old & 13 lbs. He is pretty stinkin cute.

We named him Teal'c. Sci-Fi nerds will understand...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
He's very cute!

He looks like he might turn out to be like Ossie:

He is considered 'fawn' and he had a black tip on his tail. I have never researched why some GSD's turn out like this, but I'm sure it's some sort of recessive gene like long hair GSD's or white GSD's.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks everyone! Here is an updated pic from this morning. 9-1/2 weeks old & 13 lbs. He is pretty stinkin cute.

We named him Teal'c. Sci-Fi nerds will understand...

That is just too stinking cute! Look at those perfect little puppy toenails. He's going to be such a handsome lad.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Fawn GSDs aren't all that common. They're easily mistaken for a Belgian Malinois.

You have an adorable puppy! Again, welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
He doesn't anything like a puppy malinois (his face and body are too broad) to me but he is absolutely adorable! It looks like he's wearing a tuxedo! :wub: I think he is mixed with something but definitely has gsd in there.

Have fun with your little cutie!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Very cute pup, I love his name too! I see red sable GSD. I do not see any Malinois at all. He may be a high mix, but only time will tell. I think his weight is perfect. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I know this is an old thread now, but I figured I would give an update...

After doing a DNA test we bought on amazon, we found out our Teal'c is not a purebred GSD like we were told. He is mostly GSD. One parent was a purebred GSD, and the other a mix. Apparently one of his grandparents was mixed with a little Polish Lowland Sheepdog and Great Pyrenees. The test predicts he will grow up to be 57-85 lbs. I'm a little disappointed, simply because we were told he was pure GSD, but he had no papers and we didn't pay $1000+ for him (that's what they seem to go for around here).

But... he's just a pet, not a working dog, and we didn't plan to breed him. So I guess it doesn't really matter. Mutts usually tend to be healthier anyway, right?

Nearly 30 pounds now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Teal'c !! Love Stargate ;)

He is beautiful . Good luck with him!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Oh , by the way , those tests are very inaccurate. I'm sure others will chime in :)

Those big growth plate bumps and paws make me think he still has quite a lot of growing to do yet :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Love the name (and that show)! And he is a very cute pup!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he is sooooooo CUTE!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts