German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ! I have a German Shepherd who will be 2 on February 6. We still have lots of training to do especially leash tracing. He loves pulling my arms out of the sockets so we don’t normally walk. He’s over 100lbs and just too strong for me. Any advise would be amazing !!! Thanks !! Also how do I upload his photo hahaha

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome to the forums! My GSD Doberman mix birthday is February 9 :) however he will be turning 3. He is also a tugger, and I found salvation in a prong collar. If you look up videos on how to properly fit and use them, they are a lifesaver! Your boy is beautiful, please feel free to post more photos!

·
Super Moderator
5,136 Posts
I agree with the prong collar. Once you use it to teach your dog good manners you can consider going to a flat collar or martingale. I don't recommend a head halter or harness. They also work by making it uncomfortable to pull. It just puts the discomfort in different places. Your most important tools is PATIENCE. No matter how much you want to go for a walk be a rock and don't move until you get the manners you want. That part was hard for me. Put on some good music and take your time.

Another idea is to turn around and go the opposite direction when you dog pulls ahead but I found my dogs made that into a game.

And see if you can find a good trainer familiar with GSDs. Someone who watches your body language and timing of rewards helps quite a bit!

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
He loves pulling my arms out of the sockets so we don’t normally walk

You need a trainer because you have no control over your dog. You need to be shown what to do and how to do it. You are failing your dog...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!! Your boy is beautiful and looks quite personable with his animated expression.

Can you find someone experienced with GSD's to help you get him to a place where you can takeover and handle him?

The large ones can be a handful to train if you don't know what you're doing. Most areas have dog obedience classes

for beginners and can be very good once he's more manageable for you. Or check with any obedience clubs for

recommendations on trainers. I'll bet with a few phone calls you can find someone to help you. Good Luck!! And

keep us posted how you do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Malibu

Hey there thanks for your kind words and uplifting attitude it was a great read this morning. Since you know the situation so well on how I’m failing my pup I won’t have to say much. Lycan is not being failed, he is extremely obedient and behaves well. He gets very excited for his walks and likes to pull. I don’t think him getting too excited is me failing him. But thank you for your concern and comment, feel free to be a jerk somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Hey there thanks for your kind words and uplifting attitude it was a great read this morning. Since you know the situation so well on how I’m failing my pup I won’t have to say much. Lycan is not being failed, he is extremely obedient and behaves well. He gets very excited for his walks and likes to pull. I don’t think him getting too excited is me failing him. But thank you for your concern and comment, feel free to be a jerk somewhere else.
Sorry about that.. It's what gets read sometimes and not what someone writes I guess.

I just see this beautiful GSD basically walking it's owner and the vision has always bothered me. I am sure you are a good pet owner and I am saying SORRY that you woke to my thread..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts