German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just wanted to stop in and introduce ourselves. I’m mike and my dog is Sniper. Sniper is 6 months old and a working line GSD. We have been in Shutzhund training for about 2 months now and did basic obedience before that. I am also seeking some feed back or advice from anyone that wishes to chime in. My wife and I also have two labs that are getting up in age. The breeder I purchased Sniper from did a repeat breed with snipers parents. My wife and I have been thinking about getting another pup but a female this time. The reasons I’d like to do this is my labs are getting older and the pup is from the same blood line. Do you think four dogs is to many at the time and would I have issues with the dogs? Any advice helps? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Welcome Mike! Your questions would be difficult to answer at best, because there are so many variables. For some people one dog is too much, while others seem to do just fine with 4 or 5...it really depends on the dog's and how they interact, as well as how much time you have to spend with them. Obviously puppies require more time and effort than older dogs. But the older dogs still need some quality time with their people! What does your gut tell you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. My gut tells me to get the female from the same mom and dad. My wife and I have had three dogs for the past nine years, one past and that’s when we got our GSD. So I guess the number of dogs wouldn’t be an issue. The dogs all interact very well but of course the shepherd being 6 months old wants to really play hard most of the time. All the dogs get the same amount of love and quality time but the shepherd might get more seeing he’s in training. So really I guess my main concern would be how Sniper would act with a new pup?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
:welcome: Mike with your gsd Sniper! I've always just had one dog at a time, 4 cats, yes, but that's different. But I think with your senior labs if you did go ahead with your puppy plans, Sniper would have a playmate when the pup gets older so he wouldn't be pestering the labs to play.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 7 dogs lol, when my husband and I first got together we each had two dogs and how we got to 7 is a sypey in own. Any way the ages range from 7 years old, my boxer mix to my 7 week old gsd Nyssa.
Molly is my grumpy 7 year old (bully mix) and she stays in the laundry room most of the time sleeping in her bed, Booker (7) Dexter ( 1 1/2) Dixon (almost 3) and Bop (2) they all hang out and have access to the "lower" half of the house as I call it. I do separate turn outs for them out back on a line, let them potty then I switch, all but molly and Booker sleep and eat in there kennels.

Now in the "main" part of the house is the crazy haha. Ragnar is my almost 15 week old gsd puppy and hes crapy busy to begin with, then my husband wanted a female because that's what he prefers so we now have my boy Ragnar and our 7 week old girl Nyssa. I have to switch between the two being out to only 1 being out, and I'm not gunna lie, its frusting at times, but when she gets a bit bigger then these two will be perfect size playmates.

I also am a stay at home pet mom, have been since we got together for a few reasons. And now my husband and I work for ourselves, so having time for them all isnt an issue (oh yeah and we have more animals then just dogs haha).

I'm probably forgetting details but I'm half asleep and just woke up from a nap so bear with me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with everyone, do what your gut tells you and your wife. You have a 6 month old puppy so you're still very fresh on all the work it takes to raise one. I have a 5 month old German Shepherd puppy and a 13 year old Yorkie. He has gotten so much better now but he is still a puppy and for awhile it was a lot of work making sure the puppy wasn't too much at any point for our senior dog. We would love to have another puppy to play with our Obi. We won't be getting another GSD until Obi is most likely 2. Instead we just do a lot of activities with Obi and bring him to puppy playgroups for that interaction. The breeder we got Obi from is having another litter due to be born next month and we were so tempted to get another one but, decided for us it'll be better to wait. I would just keep in mind that sometimes older pets require a lot of attention as well, plus unknown medical expenses with any pet especially a senior one. I only think of this because I lost my German Shepherd mix in March and know how sudden things can be. If you are able to offer all your pets and yourselves the care needed then go with your gut, which you said is getting the puppy. You know what's best for you and your pets.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It's not just the number of dogs to consider. You now have a 6 month old GSD pup. If the repeat breeding took you're looking at adding another GSD pup in about 4 months. You'd have an adolescent teenager 10 month old GSD and a 2 month old pup. The training demands and needs of both dogs at those ages is going to be a lot of work. Add in caring for your senior dogs, work and kids if you have them you need to seriously ask yourself if your family is going to have the time and energy to meet the needs of all the dogs. Especially the young GSD's. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done. Just suggesting that you and your wife take the time to think carefully if having two young, very active dogs of a breed that needs a good amount of foundation training (and exercise) for the first 2 years of life at the same time is truly doable for you.

Another thing to consider is that your current pup isn't old enough yet to show it's true personality and temperament. He has a long way to go to show you what he is going to mature into. Going for a repeat breeding on the yet unknown final outcome of the first breeding could be good or bad.

Just a couple of things to think about and really consider before making your final decision. What ever you choose we love pictures and once you have a few more posts you'll be able to post them of your boy...*wink *wink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the replies and great info. My wife and I did put down a deposit on the new pup but we still have time to reconsider seeing that she was just born a week ago. Just a little more info on my end for you all. I am home 4 days out of the week and the days I work my wife is home. So someone is always home to look after the dogs. We have a big house on a big lot so plenty of room for the dogs to play. It’s funny that SpringBrz mentioned the adolescent teenager. My shepherd now is already hitting that mark of not listening or giving a crap! I had a talk with are trying and I was told the same thing about being a teenager. I just hope Sniper will get past that stage soon? Lol. Thanks again for all your time and info and when I can I will definitely get a pic of Sniper up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts