German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Ger this is our pup Skotty. He is 8 weeks old and we just picked him up today. He is very interested in everything! I found that he likes to chew on large bark dust and will crunch all the leaves outdoors which is bad cause I live in the pacific NW and around this time we have LOTS of leaves! This is our first dog and we are super excited and nervous about raising and training him. We also have 3 kids, 2yr old daughter and twin 1yr old boys. I have done some research and found that GSD's are really smart, easy to train, and are good service dogs. One of my twin boys has been diagnose with Cerebral Palsy and is developmentally delayed. That's the main reason we got him. We plan on putting through some therapy traning so he can be a therapy dog for my boy. He cried pretty much the hole way home and for about half an hour when we got home but warmed up to us pretty fast. So far he sleeps alot and we have already taught him to sit! I hope to learn lots about how to train and care for this guy here on this forum!

Here are a few pictures of the 8 week pup.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's adorable!!!!! makes me wish we'd been able to get Shasta when she was 8 weeks old instead of 12.... welcome to the wonderful world of GSDs. Its a fun ride.

·
Registered
252 Posts
he's adorable!!!!! makes me wish we'd been able to get Shasta when she was 8 weeks old instead of 12.... welcome to the wonderful world of GSDs. Its a fun ride.
It is for sure a fun ride but aggravating and rewarding all at the same time! I can't count the number of times I have wanted to throw my puppy out the the sea already but every time end up hugging her and working things out. It is for sure a great learning experience and am super glad I am going through it and hope you enjoy it too!

Welcome to the forum :) You have a very adorable puppy!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
It is for sure a fun ride but aggravating and rewarding all at the same time! I can't count the number of times I have wanted to throw my puppy out the the sea already but every time end up hugging her and working things out. It is for sure a great learning experience and am super glad I am going through it and hope you enjoy it too!

Welcome to the forum :) You have a very adorable puppy!

agreed. tonight is one of those nights for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gosh I am amazed how smart this pup is!! Got him to lay down a few times and shake a few times already! How can I get him to stop chewing on his leash whenever I take him outside?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Gosh I am amazed how smart this pup is!! Got him to lay down a few times and shake a few times already! How can I get him to stop chewing on his leash whenever I take him outside?
give him something else to carry. discourage leash chewing. when he goes after the leash give a firm NO and redirect him to the walk. a lot of people you'll find on this site, have mouthy dogs who feel the need to carry things during walks. Some carry balls, some carry tug toys...

·
Registered
219 Posts
he is absolutely adorable :wub:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Adorable pup! I notice his ears are standing up already! I am ashamed to say I picked Heidi out of the litter because hers were the only ears standing and I knew so little about GSDs that I was afraid the other puppies' ears wouldn't stand. After nine years, I have learned A LOT on this board. Welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the wonderful comments! So far the first night was really hard! He got up about every hour or 2 and was crying to go potty. I took him outside multiple times and when he goes to the bathroom its really mushy kinda like diarrhea. I dont know if its the food I gave him or just how its supposed to look. Anyhow, he is very alert and such a good boy.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He shouldn't have to poop that often and it shouldn't be mushy- but it was his first night home, lots of excitement and adjusting to do. Has he been to the vet yet? He might have worms or parasites, or it could be the food you're feeding- what kind do you use? Once he gets on a regular feeding, potty and sleeping schedule it will get a lot easier. Make sure you don't feed and water him too late so he has time to go before bed. He's so adorable!

·
Registered
22 Posts
so precious!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ger !!! Congrats on your new lil bundle of fur !
You will find that raising a GSD pup is somewhat challenging at times ( they don't call'em " Land Sharks " for nothing ) but with the right amount of attention and lot's of Love, you will find not only a brave, courageous, intelligent and fearless animal, but a Loving, Gentle, Loyal Companion and Friend for the rest of his Life !!! You'll find yourself relying a great deal on this forum being as this is your first dog, but you couldn't have chose a better place to land or a more special breed. Once again Welcome ! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He shouldn't have to poop that often and it shouldn't be mushy- but it was his first night home, lots of excitement and adjusting to do. Has he been to the vet yet? He might have worms or parasites, or it could be the food you're feeding- what kind do you use? Once he gets on a regular feeding, potty and sleeping schedule it will get a lot easier. Make sure you don't feed and water him too late so he has time to go before bed. He's so adorable!
The bag of food was given to us from his owner its called Blue ribbon puppy. Thats what she had him eating. We asked her today if he had problems going to the bathroom and she said about a day and a half prior to us getting him it started. He has been dewormed twice and has had his first set of shots. We will most likely take him to the vet this weekend to get him fully checked out. What kind of pup food do you all reccomend?

And thanks to everyone here you are all so kind and full of great information!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well there's an entire forum about feeding puppies, but you can start with a large breed puppy food if you want. I never fed a puppy formula, I feed Nature's Variety but Wellness and Blue Buffalo have one. I'd start with one of those brands. I think 4Health from the Tractor Supply store has a large breed puppy too. You'll just have to see what works for your pup. I've never heard of Blue Ribbon so I can't say anything about it. You can look up all brands of foods on www.petfoodanalysis.com and go for a 5 or 6 star rating.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What a sweetheart!! :)
Congrads on the new puppy and welcome!

-Jess:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well there's an entire forum about feeding puppies, but you can start with a large breed puppy food if you want. I never fed a puppy formula, I feed Nature's Variety but Wellness and Blue Buffalo have one. I'd start with one of those brands. I think 4Health from the Tractor Supply store has a large breed puppy too. You'll just have to see what works for your pup. I've never heard of Blue Ribbon so I can't say anything about it. You can look up all brands of foods on www.petfoodanalysis.com and go for a 5 or 6 star rating.
My favorite large breed puppy food is Solid Gold WolfCub bison formula. Their food is a little pricey but she loves it and it keeps her coat super soft and doesn't poop large amounts with it. Also a big bonus to it is no wheat and it is closer to adult food than most high fat puppy foods to help control the growth so they don't grow too fast and have possible problems.

Solid Gold Health Products for Pets - Products
Solid Gold WolfCub Puppy Dog Food

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
cute puppy! congrats. im sure he'll work out lovely for your son and the rest of your family

1 - 20 of 24 Posts