German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I just got a baby boy yesterday, and know plenty of what to expect.
This is my first dog but I have lots of experience with large dogs.

He already knows what 'NO!' means, what 'Let go' means and comes when called (most of the time). He bites softely for the most part but when he does hard, You say OUCH he instantly stops and looks at you with these little eyes. He has high food and prey drive and follows me around without the need of leash. I'm looking forward to putting these aspects to good use. I have a couple of cats and the puppy does kind of chase them, but does not bite. The other cat has been upstairs for about 24 hours now, lol.

Here's a little story for anyone planning on getting a puppy and has a metal dog crate.

The breeder warned me about metal crates for puppies as she knows of a couple of cases of dogs getting their jaws stuck and really injuring themselves and one has even died.

Anyways, I figured that my little guy wouldn't do such a thing and so I put him into his 36' metal crate last night after a good session of play, and right as soon as he noticed that he couldn't get out he started going ballistic. He was jumping back and forth scratching around the cage and then proceeded to try to bite through the cage, I tried to ignore him but after 5 minutes in the thing he started yelping, screaming rather like he was injured. I look back to see his jaws are stuck on the top and bottom wire of this thing and he was pulling back trying to get free.

I jumped out of my chair with my heart beating a million miles an hour an freed him from the side of the metal cage and let him out instantly. Folded that peace of **** up and put it away! Not sure if I'm going to even bother with a crate, He barely disturbed me last night and didn't go potty in my bedroom. :shocked:

I'll post more another day with more pictures and updates!

Here's some for now
ugoir.jpg igor.jpg

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Cute pup!

Fiona had a similar reaction to her metal crate. She actually chewed the metal vertical bars apart at the bottom and managed to pull the horizontal bar back about 3 inches. And she got out. Once she figured out how to get out, she never stayed in.

I put her sister in the same crate. She did something to the crate, because we came home to blood on the floor, but could not figure out where on the dog it came from. So that crate hitched a ride outta here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts