German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone this is Chase, he will be 8 weeks Sunday and he is our first german shepherd. We absolutely adore him! :) I am curious if I could get advice what kind of coat he might have when he is older? The breeder told me he might be a plush but he seems really fuzzy to me. I'm sure it doesn't matter but just curious :). Here are pictures of him and his parents.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Aw! Too cute!! He-he So tiny:) I got mine at 4 months of age and never seen him that tiny.

It's really hard to say the coat color as every year it will be changing slightly. Most likely though very similar to mom and dad as they are both bi-color and very defined. He may get a lot more of black with just smaller spots towards feet or just the way he is.. who knows:)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
nice looking pup .

not bi-colour though , neither are the parents .

Black and tan.

"He may get a lot more of black with just smaller spots towards feet "
No more black . Black will recede and he'll get more tan.

Black and tan --- like the sire .

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Chase is adorable. Love his mom and Dads coloring especially his mom. Have fun baby puppies grow up so fast.

·
Registered
152 Posts
nice looking pup .

not bi-colour though , neither are the parents .

Black and tan.

"He may get a lot more of black with just smaller spots towards feet "
No more black . Black will recede and he'll get more tan.

Black and tan --- like the sire .
What do you mean "not bi-color" while saying Black AND tan like the sire? :)

bi-color means TWO colors. Black AND tan = two colors. =)

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
The GSD is black , like yours, sable, bi-color , black and tan .

Here are some bi-colours http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/show-me-pictures/202426-show-me-you-bicolor-shepherd.html

not the first dog on this thread

Or is it considered for example Black as main color, and then could be tan + a bit of silver, so this would make it bi-color (omitting the main dominant color), versus Black as main and the rest is Tan without any other colors. Just trying to understand:)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
bi colour is a separate gene.

you are looking at the word bi- two . Black and tan .
Bi-colour . You will never get a bicolour from any of the
WGSLs . Black and red - is still bi-colour.
Black sable and grey sable and red sable etc etc are all Sable.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/326890-bicolor-working-shepherd-2.html

not an endorsement - site used only to illustrate puppies that are bi-colour http://www.champdogs.co.uk/litter/24364

see , even as young pups there is a difference.

when they are born they often look as if they are solid black , then around 5 weeks plus you see a hint of brown (tan)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think I'm getting it. Was looking at it from linguistic prospective and not from genes. I'll read some more on that though. Thank you!

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
bi colour is a separate gene.

Black sable and grey sable and red sable etc etc are all Sable.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/326890-bicolor-working-shepherd-2.html

not an endorsement - site used only to illustrate puppies that are bi-colour Pedigree KC Registered German Shepherd Dog Puppies in Sheffield, South Yorkshire born 20/04/12
I think that ought to be, black and red -- is still black and tan, not bi-color.

It's a separate gene, think of it as a different pattern though.

What you have up there are two saddle backs. If you had a tan horse and put a black saddle on it, it would kind of look like that. A blanket back is still a black and tan, but it looks like you put a black blanket on the horse rather than just a saddle.

Blanket black and tans and bi-colors are often mistaken for the other. But a bi-color will generally have only points on the face, possibly a tiny mark on the chest, and some tan on the lower legs. There are other markings like pencil-toes and tar heels. (AKC is lazy with no markings listed on their registration forms, GSDs have lots of possible markings.) If in doubt check the parents of a questionable dog. But the dogs you show are black and tan and not bi-colors.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
CORRECTION--
I meant this

to read You will never get a bi colour from any of the WGSLs.

Black and red -- is black and tan .

thanks selzer

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think that ought to be, black and red -- is still black and tan, not bi-color.

It's a separate gene, think of it as a different pattern though.

What you have up there are two saddle backs. If you had a tan horse and put a black saddle on it, it would kind of look like that. A blanket back is still a black and tan, but it looks like you put a black blanket on the horse rather than just a saddle.

Blanket black and tans and bi-colors are often mistaken for the other. But a bi-color will generally have only points on the face, possibly a tiny mark on the chest, and some tan on the lower legs. There are other markings like pencil-toes and tar heels. (AKC is lazy with no markings listed on their registration forms, GSDs have lots of possible markings.) If in doubt check the parents of a questionable dog. But the dogs you show are black and tan and not bi-colors.
Thanks both of you guys, definitely makes more sense now!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Awww, he's so CUTE! :wub:

Welcome to the group! :welcome:

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your little guy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts