German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 week white purebred GSD and he has been really good for the most part. His name is Echo. I've been having trouble with him biting at me and the kids when he wants to play. I've tried the Yip method but it isn't working anymore. He's also started digging and chewing dead leaves and sticks. He had diarrhea for a bit but it passed and was meds. His stool goes from brown and normal to yellow smelly soft serve-runny all the time and his farts could kill anyone who dares to breathe. His food is Authority Large Breed Chicken and Rice. Can anyone help me with these problems or give some advice?

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
Welcome!The puppy forum has a wealth of information about biting and chewing which is perfectly normal,and how to redirect them.https://www.germanshepherds.com/for...88-puppy-biting-teaching-bite-inhibition.html

Sounds like his food is not agreeing with him.Do some research on higher quality foods and transition him slowly to another brand.Some dogs don't do well on chicken so think about trying a kibble with a different protein,maybe lamb or beef.

Reactions: sebrench

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Try keeping a light leash with no handle on him, they call it a drag line. Find a soft toy, like a stuffed animal that he'll bite and be very direct about playing with him with it. Tie a light rope on it to keep some separation from you and the toy and let him chase it and bite it. Let him carry it around if he will as long as you are watching him. The idea is to get his focus on whats appropriate to bite.

The drag line can help settle them down, the pup following you on leash can help create a little submissiveness in them and its so you can stop him from going from biting at the kids to chasing them. You don't want it to escalate to that.

I like to teach them to leave it very early. Thats how I interrupt things like eating something they shouldn't. So what I'd do is calmly walk him on leash past the leaves and as soon as he's near enough and aware of them, I say "Leave it" followed by a little pop on the leash and keep calmly moving.

Farts. Hold your breath?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on the puppy!! I assume it's the Puppy and not Adult version of pet food? Unfortunately the biting goes on for a while- at least until around 6 months when the adult teeth come in. When he bites turn your back to him or (hopefully he's gated) remove yourself from him. Long pants-like denim are helpful! :) Being ignored is the best indicator that you do not like his rough play. Finally, make sure he has a lot of age-appropriate chew toys.

As far as chewing in the yard- make sure you watch him constantly and redirect. An outside ball is good. Also, there's been a recent post about poisonous outdoor plants. Sorry- not good at links but it's under "Failure to Thrive".

My pup is about 6 1/2 months old and it does get better!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hi and Welcome! Congrats on your new pup. I have never found the yipping method to ever work for nipping, biting and mouthing of a pup. I wish that suggestion would just go away. What works is redirection, time, patience, exercise and training. This is normal puppy behavior. They explore their world with their mouths. When this behavior comes up redirect with a chew approved toy. Puppy starts biting put an approved toy in it's mouth. Offer a chew or a kong stuffed with treats or small amount of peanut butter.
Know that with consistent redirection and training this will pass. It usually lasts through the teething processes that ends between 6-9 months.

Your poop issue. Several things here. Has your pup been thoroughly been tested for intestinal parasites. Coccidia, giardia, all intestinal worms? It could be the food you are feeding and/or the unapproved consumption of sticks and leaves. Yellow foul poop can mean too much fat in the diet, GI upset due to food intolerance or infection.
I would rule out parasite with a fecal test by your vet. If fecal is clear then I would do a slow transition to a different better quality food that is affordable to you. Which food you ask? I have no suggestions as what works for one dog can be awful for another. If you search the forum you will find numerous threads regarding what the best food is and varying opinions and suggestions.
That said a good place to get information on foods is here:
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
What @Springbrz said. Yipping, pinching, scuffing, biting an ear. All old methods that can make the pup listen short term, but you’ll likely wind up with a problem adult on your hands. Redirecting is the easiest and most widely used method, and it will end. Constant supervision is a must. Crate is a great thing, people have varying opinions on this, but I’ve had zero issues crating. When you can’t supervise, pup goes into the crate. Some people put treats or toys or food/water in crates. I don’t, I want them to learn early on that crate time is down time. If I can’t directly supervise, but am in the same room, I tether them to me so I can make quick corrections, and they can’t get so far I can’t see what they are doing. Mostly frozen treats are great for the teething phase. Carrots, smoothies (pet safe homemade ones), bananas, things like that.

Flirt poles are great indoor and outdoor play time fun. DH can outlast both pups and still be having fun with it. Pet frisbees are made out of durable strong rubber and are great for outdoor play as well. I avoid the cheap plastic ones, they tend to last maybe one or two throws before they become useless.

Please don’t let him chew on sticks. Not only can it cause blockage that can be deadly if not caught right away, it also includes invasive surgery to correct, which means lots of high vet bills. I’m the OP from the failure to thrive thread (haven’t figured out links myself), but long story short, the branches one of my pups loved to chew on was slowly poisoning her. It was horrific watching her go from a normal happy healthy looking pup, to a neglected and starved pup. Research the landscaping you have in your yard, it can save you major heartache and extensive vet bills! Pet insurance is something to look into as well.

Other than that, enjoy puppyhood! It doesn’t last long enough!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi and Welcome! Congrats on your new pup. I have never found the yipping method to ever work for nipping, biting and mouthing of a pup.
Actually my friend used it successfully on her basenji pup! He doesn't bite anymore. But he was so bad with the bitey bitey...I was at her house and she suddenly screamed loudly. I jumped and I was like, "Did he hurt you? Are you bleeding?!!"

She said, "I'm fine. Just teaching him not to bite my hands."

LOL, it sure worked as an aversive for me! :)

I think GSD pups are more determined and active though...:grin2:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Actually my friend used it successfully on her basenji pup! He doesn't bite anymore. But he was so bad with the bitey bitey...I was at her house and she suddenly screamed loudly. I jumped and I was like, "Did he hurt you? Are you bleeding?!!"

She said, "I'm fine. Just teaching him not to bite my hands."

LOL, it sure worked as an aversive for me! :)

I think GSD pups are more determined and active though...:grin2:
:rofl:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts