German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i live in Toronto Ontario i have a 2 year old gsd .. its winter now.. and freezing.. for the past few days Ive been taking my dog out on his regular walks .. but short time after he limps and lifts his feet i know its cold .. but why so sensitive ? god i hope its not arthritis at such a young age please help me:confused::confused::help:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
if its as cold as i'm thinking it is up there, i wouldnt take him out for walks with just his bare pads. Its too cold and its very possible he could be getting frostbite which is very painful. Definitely look into getting some winterized dog booties. Insulated and do SHORT walks. There is no reason, even for a double coated breed, to be out in weather that cold for anything other than going potty IMO. I would also suggest possibly having him wear a doggie coat if you intend on longer walks in such cold temps. HIGHLY suggest the winterized doggie booties though. A dogs feet are affected first by the cold and that can cause serious problems with other parts of the body such as the spine and hips because he could be straining and tensing his muscles in order to avoid his feet getting too cold as he tries to keep as little contact with the ground as possible. Also if ice salt is being used where you're walking, that could also be burning his pads which is another good reason to get the doggie booties.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if hes walking in snow, its probably just ice/snow getting packed into the paws, which can be painful....unless you were seeing similar behavior when there was no snow. my dogs have never done this no matter how cold it gets (and it was 9 degrees F this morning with alot of snow on the ground). however, i think some dogs just have more sensitive feet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds like his feet are getting way too cold. You see that a lot. If you want to keep walking him get him some booties for his feet :) At first they hate them but if you keep using them he should accept them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts