German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My husband and I stumbled across this forum as we've started researching how, when, and where we want to bring home a new family member. I've always been a cat and horse person, in fact we have three cats right now and a horse. My husband grew up with GSDs in Italy and has always wanted one since. So now we're looking to get a puppy in the Spring! First and foremost we want to work with a reputable breeder with a history of healthy dogs. We want an active family pet who also has a protective desire, although we realize that a GSDs presence is often enough deterrent in itself. While not specifically looking for a working dog it is important that we find one that is willing to learn some advanced obedience and maybe even do some fun competition kinds of things (agility or maybe some basic Schutzhund) as well as hanging out at the barn with me. Well, that's a quick intro to who we are and we look forward to learning lots more on the forums! Thanks :)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Welcome from Texas. I, too, am basically a cat and a horse person. I have also always had big dogs as outdoor pets, but have bonded more with my cats and horses. Dogs seem to need a lot more time and attention. We now have an 85# mixed breed dog in the house as well as a new GSD puppy who is working lines. And yes, he is a lot of work, but so much fun. My husband says he hates to see it if I was reallllllllly a dog person. Wolf, my GSD, and I go to Schutzhund training 1 time per week; he goes to the barn with me while I am cleaning stalls and to feed. He is pretty much my constant companion. I do not regret my decision to bring him into our lives. My advice to you is to make sure that you have the time and are willing to make a commitment to train your dog.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
We lived in Hampton, VA from 2005-2009 before moving to Portland, OR. We bought Nara from Mark and Dina Engel down in VA Beach. Their website is www.gspuppies.com. Nara comes from World Champion West German bloodlines (not bragging, cuz I don't care much about that stuff, but most dogs are lucky to be from champion bloodlines, so what's to say about WORLD champion bloodlines, haha!).

Nara has turned out to be a great pet, protector of our property and young children, finished at the top of her obedience classes, picked up on Search & Rescue training faster than all of the other GSDs, and could probably be a show dog and champion of her own right if I was in to that kinda thing!

Again, not bragging, but hoping to help you find a good dog for your situation, and someone who lives nearby. Dina also offers free obedience classes to anyone who buys her pups, and she was always friendly and helpful when we lived there with any sort of health or training questions. Nara has never had any health problems and I honestly couldn't have asked for a better dog. I was 32 when I bought her and she was my first dog ever in life. I will certainly always own a GSD until the day I die, thanks to my bond with Nara and her introducing me to and educating me on the breed by being my baby girl.

Good luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

For the horse folks out there, clearcreek and jimmy, did your GSDs take to the barn easily? I'm worried about a dog not realizing they need to get out of the way of the horse or even chasing the horses.

Counter, I've seen your posts several times about how happy you are with Nara. I definitely want to get in touch with the Engels since they are so close! Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome! So wise of you to do your research first. Remember they're called 'velcro dogs' so you'll have a constant companion. Good luck puppy hunting

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I am a bit late, but Welcome from Virginia Beach! We , too, are looking for a second GSD. Our male is in Schutzhund ( and if you decide to go that route I can point you in the direction of our AWESOME Schutzhund Club), and hoping to work on some type of showing as he gets older ( he is WAY too pigheaded for any show training or stacking at the moment)... welcome and good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts