German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I am so happy to be blessed with the companionship of a gorgeous 8 month old German Shepherd puppy by the name of Mirabai, whom I call Mira.

She was named after the 16th Century free spirited Indian poetess, Mirabai.

And she lives up to her name!

Incredibly gorgeous, intelligent, free spirited, rebellious, playful and loyal. We are inseparable and have been constant companions at work, play and adventure since I purchased her at 13 weeks of age.

I do have a question of you all ... it is one week short of 6 months since I purchased her as a purebred German Shepherd from a local breeder. The breeder has not provided me with her papers, I cannot find the litter registered on the CKC site, nor the breeder. He will not give me the name of the sire nor dam, but claims to have been a legitimate breeder for 16 years.

I have been provided with a pedigree number and the date of birth, and nothing else. I cannot find any reference to him on the CKC site, though he claims CKC affiliation.

While I have no intention of breeding her, I would like to know her heritage, and don't feel too confident with the breeder's obfuscation. Does anyone have any idea how I may or should proceed?

All my very best,
Arlene

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi Arlene,

shouldn't be too hard to get a pedigree and registration papers if she is registered, or more info if she came from registered parents. Not sure what is going on with this breeder.

You can phone or email CKC and get more info. They are very good at getting back to you and answering questions.

Do you have Mira's registered name? That might help in tracking down her papers.

PS: Lived on the Island for a number of years: Comox/Courtney, and Victoria. Loved it and miss it. Will need to move back one of these days. :)

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Did the breeder come out and say Canadian Kennel club or did he/she say CKC? With the breeder being so vague it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the breeder come out and say Canadian Kennel club or did he/she say CKC? With the breeder being so vague it makes me wonder.
Here is is reply ...

"CKC by laws say I have 6 months to deliver your paper work to you from the date you bought the puppy I am familiar with what is needed to register a litter as I have been doing this 28 years the male was imported into Canada from Germany it takes longer to register that male and not owning him the owners of the male are getting his paperwork in order you will have them within the time line required by ckc"

In 6 days the 6 month limit is up .. I have emailed him, no reply as yet.

Arlene

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Arlene,

shouldn't be too hard to get a pedigree and registration papers if she is registered, or more info if she came from registered parents. Not sure what is going on with this breeder.

You can phone or email CKC and get more info. They are very good at getting back to you and answering questions.

Do you have Mira's registered name? That might help in tracking down her papers.

PS: Lived on the Island for a number of years: Comox/Courtney, and Victoria. Loved it and miss it. Will need to move back one of these days. :)
Hi Lucia,

I contacted the CKC a few months back and was told:

"In order to determine if a dog has been registered, we will require the following:
1) The dam's registered name and number
2) The sire's registered name and number
3) The date of birth of the litter
4) Your dog's tattoo or microchip number."

Problem is, breeder will not provide me with the neither the dam's nor the sire's registered name and number. Litter is not registered with CKC.

I was told by CKC that if I did not receive the papers in 6 months that it is a matter for the RCMP - that they do not involve themselves in such manners.

Best,
Arlene

PS .. you should move back to the island! It's paradise!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I'd call CKC and ask what you can do about this. If the male was imported, then yes, it can take several months to get the male registered, and it is up to the owners of the male to get it done. Your breeder won't have any control over that, and he can't register the litter until the male is registered.

Doesn't sound all the friendly and helpful a guy. He could give you copies of the dam's and the sire's pedigree, but not sure if I'd want to ask considering his not-too-helpful attitude.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The Animal Pedigree Act of Canada makes it illegal to sell an unregistered animal as pure-bred, or to represent an animal as meeting registration requirements when they do not.

Animal Pedigree Act
(para 64, (e), (f), and (g)).

Though it is commonly done that imported dogs are bred, and the paperwork is completed afterwards. Waiting six months or more to get papers on a pup is not that unusual. The problem here is deciding if this guy is legit or is just blowing your off on the matter of registration.

Did you get any paperwork at all from the breeder? Does he have a website, kennel name? PM me the info please, there is a no-breeder-bashing rule on the board, so that info needs to be communicated through PMs.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
PS .. you should move back to the island! It's paradise!
LOL, the nice thing about Prince George - NO FLEAS or TICKS!!! I'd hate taking my three cats and two dogs back into flea and tick territory . . .

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
it can take much longer for your papers "the male was imported into Canada from Germany it takes longer to register that male and not owning him the owners of the male are getting his paperwork in order you "

dog will have to be registered and transferred to each party that owned the dog . Breeder first, transfer to first owner, who then transfer to re-seller (broker) who has to transfer to purchaser in Canada who in turn sold the dog to you.

In the meantime ask the person for information on the parents --- at least the sire and dam name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts