German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Gary. This is the first German Shepherd I've owned. My previous dogs were Great Danes and after the last only living 8 years, I decided to move on from the heart break breed.
This was my last Dane, Otto. 185lbs of drool and heart!

This little guy was born Thanksgiving morning, 2019. I haven't decided on a name yet though.
The sire is a saddleback and dam a sable and I'm have trouble figuring out the pups color. Bi-color? Dark Sable? Hopefully someone here could tell me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi and welcome.

That little guy is a black and tan, probably not a bi-color given the amount of tan on his face. The ratio of tan to black will probably change a lot over the first year so he may end up saddle or blanket back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome.

That little guy is a black and tan, probably not a bi-color given the amount of tan on his face. The ratio of tan to black will probably change a lot over the first year so he may end up saddle or blanket back.
Thanks. After I posted this, I spent a couple of hours digging through this site. I find it incredible how these dogs change color! Also, I unwittingly asked a question that seems to be asked by everyone. Thank you for replying

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks. After I posted this, I spent a couple of hours digging through this site. I find it incredible how these dogs change color! Also, I unwittingly asked a question that seems to be asked by everyone. Thank you for replying
There’s a great amount of information on this forum. Digging gets a lot of my questions answered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! My neighbor owns the parents, so I get to see the puppy often, but I'll get to bring him home on the 22nd this month :)

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Welcome! Former Dane owner here also. Same coloration as well. Lost my girl just shy of her 7th. I will probably never have another, right there with you on that one.
Congrats on the new pup, he's a black and tan and by the amount of tan this early will likely be a saddleback. Cute little beggar, looks like a sweetie. Take lots of pics, they grow up way to quick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! Former Dane owner here also. Same coloration as well. Lost my girl just shy of her 7th. I will probably never have another, right there with you on that one.
Congrats on the new pup, he's a black and tan and by the amount of tan this early will likely be a saddleback. Cute little beggar, looks like a sweetie. Take lots of pics, they grow up way to quick.
Thanks!! 3 pups look like him and the rest are Sable. When I set out, I wanted a sable color dog, but this little guy came right up to me gnawing on my finger and pawing at me. So, I guess he chose me. He sure has a lot of personality. :) I need to decide on a name!

·
Registered
525 Posts
That Dane is huge! Wow, I walk a part Dane and he's probably 100, but he's super skinny and even underfed a bit. I always thought as I was walking that he was as tall as a dog can get. Seeing your pic: I'm so, so wrong! Well, after dealing with huge puppies forever you will definitely not have too much trouble with a GSD, though I believe the Danes are really laid back compared to gsds(?). Good luck with him, he looks like a great puppy! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me what you name him please! I'd love to know!
Otto was huge and frightening looking. But he was so gentle and watched my kids like a hawk.

My sister's Dane is actually taller that Otto was, but weighs about 35-40 pounds less.

Hopefully I'll come up with a name soon!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tomorrow morning I'll be picking up my pup. I haven't seen him in 2 weeks, so I would imagine he has grown!

I did come up with a name for him. I named him after a book I read when I was a child. His name

Mr. Bowditch :)

Anyway, looking forward to picking him up in the morning. Here is a picture of the sire. At first I thought he was a red and black saddleback, but as I continue researching this breed, I'm not so sure. Does anyone know the color? The sable-ish coloring has me confused. The pup below isn't the pup I'm getting, but it's his sister.

·
Registered
525 Posts
My brother read that book! Good name! I'm not sure about the sire's coat. It looks red and black saddle to me too, but the silvery hairs on his neck do add confusion. (at least for a more inexperienced person like me)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes, your pup is not a sable. It's a standard black and tan/red with a saddle back most likely.

Edit: Oops didn't see that you said the picture was of the sire. Yes he will probably look very much like the sire! Standard black / tan (or red) with a saddle back.

Looking forward to more pictures of your puppy! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!! I'm heading out right now to pick him up. My little girl was up at the crack of dawn talking about going to pick up Mr. Bowditch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tonight will be the 4th night of crate training and potty training. Mr. Bowditch is a quick study! The first night was brutal, but last night was night and day difference. I have to say, I've fallen in love with the little guy. Boomer, our German Shepherd/ great Pyrenees mix, is just over the moon happy to have the pup as a companion. Today they were sharing a stick to chew on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts