German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy my name is David Moseley I'm 20 year's old and I work at a maximum security prison in the great state of texas. Here on October 4th I will be getting my first German Shepherd Puppy that is 6 week's old. I allready own a Black lab who is really great but I decided to look up a good forum to get tip's pointer's the whole 9 yard's. I will hopefully be posting pictures soon and I hope to gain some great insight to the way's of guiding a German Shepherd. :D and Happy early Halloween!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Welcome. I encourage you to request the breeder to keep the puppies until they are 8 wks. 6 wks is too early to let them go.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Welcome, Dmoseley! I'm new here too and there's some great info around this place!

@GSDAlphaMom and Stogey - While I agree, I know that's not always possible (with a non-professional breeder). I was surprised to learn that the vet said the litter where I got my pup could be adopted out "the sooner, the better". Thoughts, please?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Huntsville?

Howdy my name is David Moseley I'm 20 year's old and I work at a maximum security prison in the great state of texas. Here on October 4th I will be getting my first German Shepherd Puppy that is 6 week's old. I allready own a Black lab who is really great but I decided to look up a good forum to get tip's pointer's the whole 9 yard's. I will hopefully be posting pictures soon and I hope to gain some great insight to the way's of guiding a German Shepherd. :D and Happy early Halloween!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes there are places in which the conditions are so bad that the puppy is better off being pulled but unless that is the case it will benefit the puppy to spend 8 wks with his littermates. They learn valuable social skills in that period.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome! You've got a lot of forum members from Texas here also :)

I second Emoor's question..are you in Huntsville?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes there are places in which the conditions are so bad that the puppy is better off being pulled but unless that is the case it will benefit the puppy to spend 8 wks with his littermates. They learn valuable social skills in that period.

Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression. These pups were in wonderful conditions. The owner was just going on what the vet said. Pups were 8-9-10 pounds at 6 weeks, very healthy, friendly, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well thank's for all the replies I'm going to contact the breeder and see about getting them along the 8 week old mark instead of getting them so early. :D No I'm in Abilene :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts