German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help:Good Morning everyone! I am a VERY proud owner of a 19 mo female GSD who was a stray. I cannot believe anyone would allow any animal to get lost! :mad:

This is the first GSD that I have owned and would like to ensure that my husband and I are good pack leaders and Meika is cared for in the manner fit for a GSD. ( She doesnt need to know that she will be the princess, yet)

Any words of wisdom on training? I have been researching but, there is nothing better then experience.

I have attached a picture of her at the shelter, she is underweight and can feel her bones. Recommendations on food? I currently feed Nutro to my Mini Schnauzer, but Meika will be much more active dog and needs to gain some weight.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Kara ( Meika's Mom)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome and thanks for giving her a good home! I feed Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit kibble. It's a grain free food. You can look up different brands on petfoodanalysis.com and compare all the brands out there. If you're need to add weight, look up the recipe for satin balls and mix up a batch, it's very effective and good for the coat and skin as well. I would take an obedience class at a local training club or gsd club in your area

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Hello from North Dallas! Thank you for rescuing Meika. I'd strongly suggest getting into some obedience classes with her. Not only will you learn to teach her, but it's a great way to bond with each other. If you let us know what area of TX you're in we might be able to point you to a good place.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hello and welcome Kara and Meika!

·
Registered
68 Posts
HELLO.... Welcome from Grapevine, Tx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the welcomes! Means alot! I believe Meika will love it here too! Jimmy, I am in League City just south of Houston. Any words of wisdom on where to go for obedience class? Also, it the a play group around Houston?!

Meika is the only German name that my husband and I could agree on!

Thank again everyone!

Kara ( Meika's Mom)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts