German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New member here. I just got Stryker about three weeks ago. He is now a 32 lb, 14 week old boy. I had an adult GSD in past; however, never a puppy and all the training, but I am loving it.

Looking forward to gaining additional information from more experienced professionals. We are in Week 3 of Puppy AKC STAR Kindergarten classes. Starting on Obedience first. Figure that I need to make sure I know that I can keep him under control before we move on. :) Then I want to do Good Citizenship, I think it is called.

I have lots of questions: Training Techniques, How to Identify Drive (I know that he loves the Flirt Pole, the trainer recommended for exercise/play), Learning about the best jobs to assign to keep him busy, etc., etc. But I will post them in the other forum areas.

Just wanted to say "Hello" today.

The picture was the day he "found" his ears....I was so excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Stryker is a good looking puppy! I just raised my first puppy too, so I'm very interested in hearing how it goes for you, and what you think of the advantages and disadvantages of raising a puppy versus getting an older dog/rescue!

Reactions: RBurnett

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Welcome from all!

Welcome to the forum! Stryker is a good looking puppy! I just raised my first puppy too, so I'm very interested in hearing how it goes for you, and what you think of the advantages and disadvantages of raising a puppy versus getting an older dog/rescue!

So far, I am thinking the training is easier to raise a puppy. I am going have to spend a lot of time to get it right, but I knew that going in. I have already developed that bond that I was not able to get with the adult rescue and he (rescue) already had some very bad habits that could not be broken (bad prey drive towards small animals). He was 7 when I got him and I never knew his past history. Don't get me wrong, the rescue was a good boy, but with Stryker, I am able to correct the behaviors that I do not want him to display. But we will see. ;) Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Welcome from NW Ohio. Have fun with him, the time will fly by.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome and keep taking pictures, they grow way too fast!

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts