German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My name is Gina and I am the owner of a GSD as of just over a week ago. She is a shelter rescue (surrendered by previous owner) and appears to be purebred. She's 2, rail skinny, and has scars on her nose, along with a host of other issues. Poor kid has had a rough shake in life and we're trying to undo the damages but that's a tall order.

The biggest issue is separation anxiety. She tends to lose all sense of behavior and logic and detroys my house and relieves herself at will when left alone. She mainly goes for food items and has managed to eat everything from dog treats to granola bars and even got her paws on a can of soup, which she left in the living room, thankfully unopened. I have discovered that she can open the sliding doors to my laundry room where I've been stashing the good stuff she wants, so we will have to find a new hiding place and maybe we'll be able to get at least that much under a little more control. I attempted to crate her b/c of the destruction and she busted out of the crate. Attempt #2 at crating her resulted in her not being able to get out, but she did some hefty damage to the crate. Since then, she's been back on the loose until I can come to a solution as to crate repairs or if it's even a worthwhile endeavor to attempt said repairs. My vet has called in a RX for prozac for her, but that's something I will need to research a bit before trying. I've never used it and don't know what to expect, and therefore I do not know as of now if I want to use it at all. Homework on this subject shall begin shortly.

There are other issues she has, but they are less pressing than the anxiety. She is very play driven and when she sees another dog she'd like to play with, up goes a mental wall and she blocks out everything except that dog. At the vet recently, she was faced with two other dogs in the lobby and turned into a whining, barking mess, and she's so big and imposing that I think she scares people. I had physcial control of her but I didn't feel like I had control of her actions in that I couldn't get her focus back where it should be so she'd quiet down and b/c of this we are looking at trainers in the area for some help with this.

I am sure I am making her sound like a monster, but she's really not. She's just a little overwhelming. Okay, maybe a lot overwhelming. It has crossed my mind that I am not equipped to deal with her and should try to place her but I'm going to do my best to see her through. She really is a nice dog--she is sweet and loving and calm when we're here (unless it's play time then she gets a little hyper), it's just when we leave that the wheels fall off.

She has an ugly past, I know this much. The previous owner surrender questionaire was a joke. She was not very well taken care of or very well socialized. The previous owner claims to have 'found her' six months ago and gave her up b/c she's 'too much dog.' I almost wonder if she was someone's dog that was lost or stolen and had a good home at one point, but I guess we will never know that now. She is 54lbs with her ribs and hip bones showing and everyone keeps telling me they think she is German bred. She's black and creme but mostly black. She also knows basic commands. And sadly, it's also clear that she's been smacked around a lot, b/c something so simple as taking a hat off your head and she hits the deck.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story so far. It is evolving and will hopefully evolve into something much calmer in the near future. I am open to any information and suggestions anyone might have as to how to cope with and minimize the issues this dog is having. I think we'll get there, I hope we will, and I'm willing to put in the work, I just hope the pooch is on the same page. :D

Thanks,

Gina

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
First of all welcome and thanks for taking her in. I've never had a rescue or a dog with such a past so I'm absolutely of no help other than to say that I've read several stories of similar, and actually much worse, behavior problems. I'm sure someone with experience will be able to help you, this forum has so much info. Have you read the behavior forums?

·
Registered
334 Posts
She is a beautiful dog! Thanks for rescuing her!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all. She is pretty sweet, and is actually a very nice dog, as long as someone is with her. But when left alone last night for a couple hours, there was no destruction! Progress!

GSD Fan, where are you located? We are in Gulfport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts