German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

New here to the forum, new to puppy and GSD in general.

My wife and I (married almost 1 year) decided to take up the responsibility of a new family member, a long coat German Shepard pup.

His name is Thor (Dog of Thunder) and is roughly 2 months old now. This will be our 2nd week with him.

We're house-training him. The last week has been the hardest - little sleep, much frustration.

He is in the mouthing/bitting/nipping phase, and he is terrorizing us. I've found the thread about the bite inhibition, and it has made myself more open to why he is like he is.

We're trying the positive method, by rewarding him when he does what we ask. Sometimes it looks like it is working, other times not.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If your puppy is only 2 months and you've had him 2 weeks, he was probably a little too young to be taken away from his littermates, and that can add to the bitey-ness. But all GSD puppies at his age can be trying! I kept the floor littered with plastic soda and milk bottles when my puppy was young, so she always had something appropriate to bite on, and it was never difficult to grab one and distract ber when she decided to bite me instead! That being said, I also always kept a paper towel or two in my pockets to sop up the blood, because there will be blood LOL! It does seem like it goes on forever, but at the same time passes too quickly! Puppies are just so darn cute! Congratulations on your new puppy!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! This is a great place to ask questions. Also, we love pictures if you have the time or inclination to post any.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah I agree with him being taken away too soon from hit litter mates, as it feels like we're having a harder time with him.

But all we need to remember is, he is a baby and we are now responsible for teaching him.

Here's a picture of the little bugger, mad at us after his first bath time.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts