German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! First off, I would just like to say thank you for all of the great/easily accessible information on GSD's! This forum is filled with awesome information on German Shepherds!

My family and I are expecting our first working dog near the end of the month and we are all so excited to welcome her into our (her) home.

Dixie is about 5 weeks old right now and will be traveling all the way from the Czech Republic.

We currently have a female black lab named Porsche, who is 10 years old. She loves other dogs of all ages and is going to do just fine with the new pup. No worries there.

We haven't had a puppy since Porsche was a baby, so I am here looking for some advice on what we will need to have ready for her. Here is my list so far:

- Food - feeding raw
- Wire Crate - What size is suggested for a 8 week old puppy?
- Collars - Prong and choke
- Lead - Both long and short
- Toys, toys and more toys
- Treats
- Bones
- Food/Water Bowls - Stainless? Any suggestions?

This is just a short list of the pretty obvious items.

Dixie is going to be trained first in obedience, then tracking and protection.

I have a local K9 trainer for all of this, but I would also like to train on my own throughout the week. Any suggestions on supplies for tracking and protection training or links to websites with quality supplies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone in advance, and if I need to post any of this in a different section of the forum, please let me know! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh my, what a hunk! All I can say is give him plenty of time to adjust, keep him in a crate right next to your bed for a few weeks, go slow. He's absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Welcome from a Virginia Beacher... who is looking to move to Roanoke this summer!!!!

First... do you have a Schutzhund trainer there? I am a member of a club locally, but researching trying to find one when I get there!!!! Also....

Crate wise.. I went with a 48" with a divider.. never had to buy another and now my 11 month old baby is over 80 POUNDS and uses every inch!!
And.. bowls.. especially for raw, I would go with stainless!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I go with a 48 inch crate too and use the divider- they grow into so fast it's just easier in the long run.

I would get a nylon or leather collar until the pup is 4-6 months when a prong can be more safely used, and ditch the chocker idea- not very effective and more dangerous on the throat.

I use stainless steel bowls because puppies tend to destroy and can ingest the plastic ones- They last forever and don't get all dinged up looking either.

You may also want to invest in a tether to tether your new puppy to you- makes, housebreaking, bonding, and supervising super easy. Also, baby/doggie gates and/or a puppy pen are nice when you want to restrict freedom and not outright crate them. Other than that your list is great and new baby girl super cute and chunky:D

For your tracking and protection equipment I would hold off until you begin working with the handler because some are more specific on what they want you to work with and how they train. No sense in buying equipment until you know for sure:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Kristi! Great to meet you! Have you ever been to Roanoke? It is beautiful here...no beaches, but plenty of mountains! :)

The closest Schutzhund trainer to Roanoke is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away, near Charlottesville (UVA). But, I spoke with the Master Trainer for all of the police K9's in SWVA and he led me to the man I am going to be training with. If you would like more information, please send me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks for the info on the 48" crate with the divider! I never thought of that, but I am going to go look for one this weekend. Would you recommend PetsMart?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info on the collars Zoeys mom. I am glad people are chiming in. :) This is awesome!

I will also go with the stainless bowls and a tether! That is such a great idea!

Thanks for the compliments on Dixie! She is going to be an awesome girl...I can feel it.

I agree with the tracking and protection equipment. What about some type of puppy bite sleeve or something, so I can start at home early and maybe also protect my furniture? lol

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have been to Roanoke.

I would say ... I got my 48" crate locally at Care-A-Lot pets for 90 bucks brand new since they came back with the Life Stages or whatever... Petsmart is just so overpriced on everything anymore in my opinion. or check Craigslist.. there are 2-3 people that have the 48" here for $50... one even still has the divider!!!! Check it out, you never know! I will email you as soon as I get done clearing out my mailbox, because I would love to learn more, since I will already be a DVG member through my club here!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts