German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have lurked and finally joined this incredibly informative forum.

My family have finally decided, after much introspection on breeds/etc, it is time to get a GSD.

I will be looking for a gsd that will be a family companion, hike and canoe partner, and ideally become a therapy dog.

I look forward to moving from the 'find a breeder, temperament research, find a trainer, day to day life of puppy ownership, ..." to actually getting involved in day to day life with a GSD.

--Eric

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Welcome Eric! Make sure you include actually seeing and meeting dogs as part of your "research". It will make narrowing down your prospective breeder list easier, and increase your chances of getting the puppy you're expecting.

·
Super Moderator
6,010 Posts
hope you are enjoying your research. Not only do you need to find a top notch breeder but find a good trainer / mentor. Someone that you can watch work the dogs and you feel comfortable with. It will make life with your pup the best

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If there is a local 'gsd puppy mentor' in my area, please reach out. A second 'live' opinion on a litter/gsd would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Seeing and Meeting
"Seeing and Meeting" as tim_s_admams mentioned is what I am doing now.

Training/mentor:
Suggestions on training in Northern Virginia area appreciated.
I really enjoyed watching the SV Obedience trials, particularly the off-leash portions which I highly value.

Re Blackthorn:
Site says "working" lines. I want a gsd with the best possible chance to become a therapy dog, so those lines/breeders I put usually place on the 2nd tier.

I have met with Shiraz (WGSL), starting dialog with Haus Juris (WGSL) and North Mountain Kennels (DDR/Czech 2nd tier). I understand there are huge variations in each litter, so not ruling anything out.

--Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Therapy wise, I will primarily look at senior assisted living visitations. Hospitals are good, but a gsd who can handle a hospital and all of the distractions/regulations would be icing on the cake. My father was in an assisted living situation, and I have seen the value of a dog visitations in that community. Over the first year or so, I plan on looking at some therapy dog locales and listing of the various required therapy certifications and requirements.

I also live with very active senior senior citizens. Post landshark/puppy phase, the gsd will need to be a supportive addition to the household.

--Eric

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,729 Posts
Therapy wise, I will primarily look at senior assisted living visitations. Hospitals are good, but a gsd who can handle a hospital and all of the distractions/regulations would be icing on the cake. My father was in an assisted living situation, and I have seen the value of a dog visitations in that community. Over the first year or so, I plan on looking at some therapy dog locales and listing of the various required therapy certifications and requirements.

I also live with very active senior senior citizens. Post landshark/puppy phase, the gsd will need to be a supportive addition to the household.

--Eric
I would not rule out a WL with medium drives, solid nerves, and an off switch as a therapy visit dog.

She has trained them to pick up things like keys, remotes, water bottles and give it the seniors. The residents really get a kick out of her dogs doing nose work, OB drills, and find it games. They are trained on how to greet and allow pats. The dogs go into to full on work mode as soon as they exit the truck, they love the work and seem really proud of themselves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts