German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

As per my profile, my name is Linsey and I am a happy newly wed of 3 months and counting... ;) My husband and I are living in a small town in Oklahoma till he finishes his BA degree and then we plan on moving to Branson, MO. We fell in love with the city on our honeymoon. :)

I have many passions such as reading, writing, cleaning house (weird, I know) and music. But, one of my favorites is working with our 4 year old German Shepherd, Captain Jack.

Captain was found as a rescue: He got ran over as a 5 month old pup which rendered his back legs uselss. His owners took him to the vet I was working for at the time and wanted to "give him up". Our vet told them that he would heal on his own after a few months, but I guess they didn't want to deal, because in the end, they signed him over to us.

As predicted, a few months went by and he regained use of his back legs...so I took him home (for a night...LOL) to give him a break from kennel life. Well, obviously, a night turned into permanent adoption and he became a part of our family at 9 months old. I trained him and got him certified in obedience in July of '08. He is reliable off leash & collar and is just the best dog.

As if that isn't enough to write about, my husband is surprising me with an early birthday gift...and we are picking him up Friday! He is a sable male German Shepherd puppy and his name is Rival. I am *so* excited to get him. :) I did my research and wanted a breeder that didn't look to "improve" the breed but wanted to keep the GSD as Max von Stephanitz intended it: as a working dog. So, I looked for dogs with straight backs and long back legs, strong working drives and the awesome personality the breed is known for.

Rival:

19 days old...We met in person before I picked him out. I just love his dark coloring!

19 days old...

4 weeks old with daddy...

6 weeks old...

7 weeks...I couldn't believe how much his coat had lightened in just a week. His breeder said he was shooting in direct sunlight and that can affect his color. Of course, I've heard sables can change dramatically!

And here's Captain: (Yes, he's named after Jack Sparrow)

We can't wait to meet everyone!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome, Linsey.

Congratulations on your marriage.

Captain Jack is so very handsome, thank you for giving him a loving and forever home.

Rival is just too cute, can't wait to see more pictures of them both when you get him home. :greet:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
welcome! Jack is a real looker and that puppy is a cutie !

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome! What an exciting time in your life-newlywed and new puppy. Can't wait to see Rival growing up. Capt. Jack is a real handsome boy! He looks so happy!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Welcome to the site and hopefully you'll keep us updated with pictures and stories!

Got the crate ready to go and stored beside your bed to assure that first good nights sleep????

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Welcome fellow Oklahoman! Hope you are enjoying the snow!
What part of Oklahoma? I'm in little old Lawton lol anxious to move back to OKC soon.
Love your pups!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all of the nice compliments. :)

Yep, the crate is set up and ready to go! I'm glad I'm getting him over the weekend so we have extra time to play. LOL.

I am in Weatherford...60 miles west of OKC. I love the snow, it's the wind that's horrible! Sheesh. Captain sure doesn't mind it though...He *loves* playing ball in it!

I will definitely keep you all updated with pictures and stories...no worries! Please do the same with your furry ones!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Another OKie!!!! Aren't we having fun with the wind and snow and ice today?

I am down in McAlester with my crew of shepherds.

Captain is a very handsome boy and Rival will be fun! Where did you get Rival if I may ask?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...I like the snow...the wind and ice however, I'm not a big fan of. ;) I purchased Rival at Stinehart Shepherds in Norman, Oklahoma.

www.stinehartshepherds.com

I believe he is the only one spoken for right now...There is 1 black female, 1 sable male and 1 black male.

He gets to go home Friday! So excited!!

:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts