German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Am looking at getting a GSD next spring, to replace our Blue Tick hound that disappeared this summer, and this looks like the place to come for information.

Seems like most folks on this site lean towards keeping their GSD inside; so i was wondering if they make good outside pets as well? I have 6yr and 2yr old daughters and live on 6 acres so we are looking for a good dog to look after the family and property. I have a dog run attached to my garage with access to inside the garage with a feeder and water dishes located inside. In the winter I also provide a heated mat with cedar chips to keep things nice and toasty. So am looking for feedback if a GSD would be a good fit for us and any recommended breeders in my area.

So hopefully will be posting pics this spring and until then will be doing a lot of ready.:)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
First of all Welcome to the Forum!! I am only going to post on my own experience. There are much more experienced GSD owners that can probably help you decide better than me. My husband and I thought ok well we need a good protection dog so lets get a GSD. He will be ok being outside so he can protect the yard. Well we were very wrong-he scratched up our vehicles, carried off flower pots,tried to eat our water faucets, tore up everything he could get a hold of. He was 13 months old when we got him. I came across this site to learn more about the GSD. We finally decided to bring him into our house as learned from this site ---- a total transformation. He had to be with his people. I am not saying this to discourage you from choosing this breed but from my experience and lots of researching on this site they are a breed that does not do well outside. They have to be with their people. They are also lots of work and time consuming but worth it in the long run. I am sure you will get lots of advice so you can make your decision. Just do alot of research on GSDs and other breeds first. Good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would also like to add that I spend a majority of my time at home outside. I have an outside business and the 2 days that I am not at the FD I will be outside with the GSD for 8-12 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It's a good thing that you'd be able to spend so much time outside with your dog. However, I really think that GSD's need to be with their family inside too. If they get enough exercise they are wonderful dogs. Mine are very well behaved in the house. Is there a reason why you don't want the dog in the house?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personal opinion only as I'm certainly no expert, but GSD's are generally very people oriented. Ezra loves nothing more than being right in the middle of family chaos - whatever we're doing, he wants to be RIGHT THERE. Whenever he's off leash, he doesn't go more than about 10 yards from me. If I tried to leave him outside for any extended period of time, he'd probably stand there and stare in the window at me until I let him back in. Eventually, I would guess he'd become bored and destructive and possibly depressed without the human interaction.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
They're known as 'velcro dogs' because they love being stuck to your side as much as possible so a gsd might not be the best choice. However, I did have a female gsd that just loved living outdoors. She had access to the garage and laundry room and that's as far as she wanted to go inside. But it doesn't get as cold here as it does in Iowa!

·
Registered
626 Posts
As most everyone else has said, these dogs need alot of interaction with their humans. Leaving a GSD out in a barn with no contact with his people is not a good idea. You might wanna look at other breeds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the comments, I truly do appreciate them. Glad that there are such informed folks here about the breed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts