German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! As a soon-to-be GSD parent, I thought I'd join-up and learn as much as I can about this breed. I raised a lab/boarder collie/husky mix for 13 years that I had to put down back in July, and really wasn't looking for another companion so soon, but this girl had me from the first picture. I hope as a newcomer I don't get banned for posting a link to another forum, but my story starts over at ADVRider.com, an adventure-riding motorcycle community:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627159

So, I'm anxiously awaiting for Friday to get here, and hope I can be the best daddy to Rally for many years to come!

-- C.J.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
So sorry for your loss. But I'm happy you can share the same love and devotion with Rally. Looking forward to seeing pictures of her

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Need to log in to be able to read that forum... Bummer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need to log in to be able to read that forum... Bummer!
Oops! Didn't realize it was that way, sorry. Backstory:

Guy in MN has a neighbor who bought a GSD at age 6 wks. 2 wks later, realizes it's too much work & goes to put it out on the street to fend for itself. Guy in MN takes in GSD pup and posts "Who in MN can take her?" along with awesomely cute photos of GSD. Me, having had to lose my best girl of 13 years, mentions it's "too bad I live in No. CO, otherwise..." So, that gets the ball rolling, money is donated for gas/food for the relay-crews (now it's up to 4 guys with time on their hands), as well as for shots and supplies. One guy from AZ is sending me a Petco gift card! All-told, the guys bringing her 900 miles from Minneapolis to Fort Collins have their gas & food paid for, and I have about $75 to spend on supplies, and a friend's wife is a vet and can do the shots at her cost. It's true that you meet the nicest people a motorcycle! (Even if you've never met them!) I named her "Rally" because that's how she's getting here. So, pray that Rally's trip is safe!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
what a great story, love her name and she is a CUTIE! Now you'll have to get her a sidecar:)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Great name and a lucky pup! So off she goes across the country to her new home...is she coming by car or motorcycle? (I'm seeing a puppy tethered and sleeping in a sidecar. ;))

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what a great story, love her name and she is a CUTIE! Now you'll have to get her a sidecar:)
Thanks! My boss has a Russian Ural w/ sidecar (I have an SV650 - no such sidecar exists, unfortunately) and will let me borrow for rides :D

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I've been reading a ton of posts, but planning a good attack for her transition seems daunting with all the info I've read. I guess I'll stick to my process for training my lab, and go from there. My biggest concern is diet: amount and frequency. I've never cared for a large-breed. It seems everyone has a different opinion, so I'll just try several things to see what's best for Rally. She ought to tell me what's best, right? :laugh: Big fan of crates, and have plenty of free time to spend bonding with her, so I'm confident she'll grow into a fine GSD specimen under my love & training. I am so looking forward to seeing Rally grow into a wonderful partner!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow ..what a start with Rally. I'm sure your life with Rally will have many more posts in this forum

·
Registered
572 Posts
Welcome and hello CJ! :greet:

Congratulations! What a sweet looking little girl you've got coming your way. She is so cute! I'm sure waiting for her arrival is really hard. I hope you'll post lots of pics once she's home.

If you are looking for a place with a fantastic selection of great foods, check out Welcome to Poudre Pet & Feed They have a North Ft. Collins location and a South Ft. Collins location. They also have tons of great toys, treats, collars and leashes. You'll find that the staff are helpful too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome and hello CJ! :greet:

Congratulations! What a sweet looking little girl you've got coming your way. She is so cute! I'm sure waiting for her arrival is really hard. I hope you'll post lots of pics once she's home.

If you are looking for a place with a fantastic selection of great foods, check out Welcome to Poudre Pet & Feed They have a North Ft. Collins location and a South Ft. Collins location. They also have tons of great toys, treats, collars and leashes. You'll find that the staff are helpful too.
Thanks, Sarah! I'll look into PP&F, and, it's nice to have a local who can help me :help:

·
Registered
572 Posts
You're welcome! I would be glad to share any local doggy tips I've found. I've had my GSD for over 3 years now and this has certainly given me the opportunity explore many of the canine friendly features of the city.

It's really nice to live in such a dog friendly place. I think the best thing we did for Khyber as a puppy was bringing him down to Old Town for socialization. So many kids of all ages, adults, and other dogs to meet! Of course it was the perfect time of year(beginning of summer) to meet tons of people and other dogs. It must be much harder to work on socialization during the heart of winter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'll be driving up to Denver tmw morning and wouldn't mind making a quick trip to FC to donate a brand new un-opened 30lb bag of Solid Gold Wolf Cub kibble to you if you want it to start with?

Let me know. You can PM me if you want it, I am leaving the Springs at 10am. I'll PM you my cell number.

-Erich

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
welcome to the forum from a C. Springs native!!!! you're gonna LOVE having a GSD pup. cant wait to see pics as she grows!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow! What a story!
How incredible is it that Rally is traveling across the country to come be your fur kid! : )
Congrads on the pup she is beautiful! I will keep her in my thoughts/prayers for a safe trip to you!!

And of course, welcome to the forums! (I'm convinced they are a life saver for us folks that haven't owned a GSD in the past : D )

-Jess

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
THANK YOU, TitonsDad (Erich) for the huge bag of puppy food!!! :shocked: Hand-delivered to Ft. Collins from C-Springs. I can't thank you enough, Erich!

--C.J.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What a sweet little girl! Love those colors. So happy that everyone has 'rallied' around to get her to you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts