German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I’ve only made two posts on this forum but I’ve received lots of good info already so thank you.

I grew up with German Shepherds and I vowed that I would never, ever have one as an adult. My dad trained Shepherds in Louisiana and my job was to be the bait. I would sit in the woods while the dog sniffed my sock or pants and soon thereafter the dog would find me. Or I’d be the kid sitting and playing with the dogs as family pets one minute and the next minute they’re chomping on a bad guy. I was done- no dog for me thanks.

But a few months ago I was walking into a local gas station and in front of the store was an MP and the most stunning German Shepherd I’ve ever seen. She was gorgeous. Slick black with brown accents on her neck and paws but the best thing about her was that she was a professional. Zero wasted movement in this dog. She was a canine laser beam.

I was really struck by that pup and I felt myself going back on what I had said as a kid. I went home and told my wife I wanted a Shepherd. Almost two years later she’s agreed so now we’re on the hunt.

I have four daughters so I’m looking to not be so outnumbered. I’d like a male but ultimately we want the best dog for us.

But seriously- please be a male.

I’m completely open to advice and information so please hit me with whatever you like.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Greetings,

I’ve only made two posts on this forum but I’ve received lots of good info already so thank you.

I grew up with German Shepherds and I vowed that I would never, ever have one as an adult. My dad trained Shepherds in Louisiana and my job was to be the bait. I would sit in the woods while the dog sniffed my sock or pants and soon thereafter the dog would find me. Or I’d be the kid sitting and playing with the dogs as family pets one minute and the next minute they’re chomping on a bad guy. I was done- no dog for me thanks.

But a few months ago I was walking into a local gas station and in front of the store was an MP and the most stunning German Shepherd I’ve ever seen. She was gorgeous. Slick black with brown accents on her neck and paws but the best thing about her was that she was a professional. Zero wasted movement in this dog. She was a canine laser beam.

I was really struck by that pup and I felt myself going back on what I had said as a kid. I went home and told my wife I wanted a Shepherd. Almost two years later she’s agreed so now we’re on the hunt.

I have four daughters so I’m looking to not be so outnumbered. I’d like a male but ultimately we want the best dog for us.

But seriously- please be a male.

I’m completely open to advice and information so please hit me with whatever you like.

Thanks!
Where in NY are you?

·
Registered
225 Posts
My parents never trained our dogs in more than basic obedience but we've always had either Shepherd mixes or GSD's. I haven't ever wanted a different dog breed, GSD's are what I know. Good luck on your puppy search, I hope it's a male!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts