German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined today. My dog's name is Sammy, he's 5 1/2 years old. The other day during an examination for an upset tummy the vet picked up a dark pigmentation in his left eye. They suggested he should visit an eye doctor which we did. He has now been diagnosed with Iris Melanoma in his left eye & early Iris Melanoma/Melanocytoma in his right eye.
Has anyone had a dog diagnosed with this?
I've been reading many articles on the Internet & I'm trying to educate myself.:help:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
First of all welcome- sorry about Sammy's diagnosis. Have you done a search of the health forum? What does your vet suggest?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will.
One eye is "wait & see" & then removal. The other might be salvaged with laser. However we have to see if it's a secondary melanoma (coming from somewhere else.) He'll go for bloodwork, ultrasound etc. this coming week.
This just came out of the blue the day before Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear about Sammy's eye! My mothers GSD, Fritz, had melanoma on his eye as well. He had it removed almost a year ago and its completely normal. His eye still looks a tad "cloudy" but it doesnt impair his vision. He still gets eye drops every day to help with moisture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iris Melanoma

Maybe there's hope for his other eye then. This is the most encouraging news I've read so far.Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It is a painful surgery for them, just be prepared. She had to keep a cone around his head for a couple weeks just to make sure he didn't bump his eye at all. But I think he will be fine!! Just no rough housing for Sammie!! Good luck and let us know how it turns out! And give Sammie a smooch from me!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He certainly can do well with one eye, hopefully that will be the extent of it and the other eye was caught in time. Best wishes for a full recovery

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi and welcome! I grew up in Naples!! Im so sorry to hear about Sammy.. :( I hope you have some good news in the coming weeks about his eyes!

off topic, but I have a 4 year old Sammi. :) (girl.) Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum! So sorry about Sammy. This is a great forum for support and help. Good Luck with Sammy and keep us posted!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
welcome and sorry to hear about Sammy. we had a Grey Hound
that went blind. she got along just fine. everything in the house
had to stay in it's position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your kind words.
I'm trying to get an avatar up for Sammy, but I'm having trouble right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sammy

I finally got up an avatar .
Thanks for your concerns. We'll see what this week brings.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He's a big beautiful boy! I love Naples, my parents moved to Boca Grande many years ago when Naples was a sleepy little town.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been almost two year's since I last posted.
We decided not to do anything with Sammy's eyes. The melanomas don't seem to have gotten any larger & he seems to see OK.
I hope it stays that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts