German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to say thanks for the wealth of info here. I have been lurking for a while just reading numerous threads.
I am new to the GSD breed and found this site in an effort to educate myself as much as possible before getting one. My wife and I have been talking about it for several months now. Anyway, this past thursday we adopted a two year old male named Marko. I must say, even with all of the reading I have done, this is far different than any other dog I have handled. We have had a couple dogs in the past, and though I love dogs I did not care for them. They lacked any intelligence and seemed to have no ability to remember basic obedience skills. It was like starting over every day. Anyway, with Marko it is completely different. He is the smartest dog I have ever been around. He has taken to our family very well and loves our three kids. I was worried that there may be some tension and stress from the change but he has shown very little. There have been a couple of dominance issues, but he has learned very quickly his place in the pack. His previous owner did a very good job teaching him obedience and socializing him with people. The only major issue I am seeing right now are some signs of what I think is fear aggresion with other dogs. I don't think he was really socialized much with other dogs as a puppy. I am hoping to be able to work with this a little after he gets used to things a little better, but from what I have read so far I should not expect to much. Anyway, sorry for such a long intro. Thanks again and I hope one day that I will have knowledge to contribute.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:welcome: and :toasting: from a Canadian!!!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new family member. I love to see it when people do their homework before getting a dog.

Post some pics of your new boy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah, I always try to learn as much as I can before I jump into something. You can't beat first hand experience, but I like to try to prepare and have some idea of what to expect. I also posted pics of him in the pictures section.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts