German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, My name is Amanda and I am not a German Shepherd mom, heck I don't even have a dog. I do however have a cat named Johndy Lynn.

I am about 6 months or so away from my first apartment and living on my own and take owning a dog very seriously. Johndy will be joining me and my future dog when I do move. I want to make sure I get the right breed for me. I don't want to end up with the wrong breed because of poor research. German Shepherds are just one of many breeds of dogs I am currently researching. I have lots of questions and hope you all can answer them :) Thanks for taking the time to read my intro!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
WELCOME! Good for you for waiting and researching to figure out when and what kind of dog to add to your life!

This site should be a huge help (and have you checked out the rescue section yet ? :) )

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WELCOME! Good for you for waiting and researching to figure out when and what kind of dog to add to your life!

This site should be a huge help (and have you checked out the rescue section yet ? :) )
Not yet, but I will definitely keep it in mind. I DO plan on adopting instead of buying a puppy. I don't think I'm ready even for the simplest breed as a puppy for my first time dog. I'm going to be going into 8 month billing and coding program, then on to job hunting for a nice 8 hour a day job so a puppy would just not be practical.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! You will learn lots of things here-very informative. Good job on researching first--smart move.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the warm welcomes!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Welcome! I am also in MI and have a Dutch Shepherd (not a GSD). Keep in mind it is VERY difficult to find an apartment that will accept a GSD unless it's privately owned. My apartment does not accept them but they accept "Dutch" Shepherds...and Malinois' *eye roll*

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Welcome from another Michigan member!

Good luck on your research, GSD are great dogs.

I'm not sure if it varies much across the state, but I'm only about an hour south of FG and I found numerous rentals that allowed my dogs. Perhaps it's something you should look into in your area before adopting!

·
Registered
184 Posts
welcome. GSD is a great breed of dog. i would also like to tell you that it is very smart of you to do your research. i have a 7 month old and she is alot of work. i love my dog and am willing to put in the time. the amount of time you have for the dog should be a big factor. this forum has a ton of great info and super nice people. welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Welcome!

I am in Waterloo, ON but am from the Windsor area so know MI pretty well.

If you need any tips about German Shepherds (or any dog) and apartment life - let me know! I live in a 20 floor highrise building with my 20 month old male GSD.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It's great to see someone doing their research first. Good luck with school and the job search! Keep an eye on the rescue forum when you're ready

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's great to see someone doing their research first. Good luck with school and the job search! Keep an eye on the rescue forum when you're ready
Thank you and I will! I'll adopt before I buy from a breeder, there are so many dog that have no home, I wish I could save them all!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the forum :) and Kudos for you on researching to see what breed will fit into your lifestyle!!!! and another Kudos for wanting to rescue!!!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
welcome. and a BIG thank you for doing your research first! thats awesome. may i ask what other breeds you're considering?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
welcome. and a BIG thank you for doing your research first! thats awesome. may i ask what other breeds you're considering?
As of right now I'm on this board of course as well as a Boxer board, Great Dane board and a Labrador board. I'm still wanting to check into Golden Retrievers, Greyhounds, Malamutes, Mastiffs, Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards and Siberian Huskey's.... I think may add more and take some off. I'm not sure if I'm ready, even in a few years for a giant breed.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
We have two boxers. I much prefer my German Shepherd over those.

Boxers are very high energy but if you go through a rescue, once again they could match you with what you are looking for.

You should look into Collie's also. They will fit an apartment or a house. There are smooth coated collie's if you don't like grooming long hair. :) I miss my old boy. :(

I know there used to be a collie breeder in Fremont, MI. I know for a fact she had smooth coats but it was many, many years ago when I was home so she might be gone by now.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
As of right now I'm on this board of course as well as a Boxer board, Great Dane board and a Labrador board. I'm still wanting to check into Golden Retrievers, Greyhounds, Malamutes, Mastiffs, Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards and Siberian Huskey's.... I think may add more and take some off. I'm not sure if I'm ready, even in a few years for a giant breed.

with husky's and malamutes and you having a cat, i would NOT recommend them. Those breeds are known for their prey drive with ANY small animal. Newfies are BIG dogs as are Saints. Greyhounds are bred as sighthounds and being around a cat may not be the best idea especially if your cat has never been around dogs or been socialized not to run from one. Golden retrievers can be a great dogs but they can also have some serious health related issues along with some aggression problems which is foreign in the breed but is happening more and more. Labs are high energy in the house and out of the house, smart and will probably play fetch with you until your arm falls off and runs away crying lol. Mastiffs have that drool thing going on as do saints and newfies so if you go with any of them, i would suggest towels all over the place to wipe drool. They good dogs though. Boxers are another high energy in and out of the house dog who need a lot of energy draining exercises but they're good dogs too. Great danes can also have that drool thing going on but they're a good breed too. Keep in mind that the larger breeds like danes and newfies and and saints arent known for their long life expectancy. great danes arent expected to live longer than 9 years. They're generally can live anywhere from 6-10 years, longer in rare occassions. Either way you go, i thank you very much for doing your research.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
We have two boxers. I much prefer my German Shepherd over those.

Boxers are very high energy but if you go through a rescue, once again they could match you with what you are looking for.

You should look into Collie's also. They will fit an apartment or a house. There are smooth coated collie's if you don't like grooming long hair. :) I miss my old boy. :(

I know there used to be a collie breeder in Fremont, MI. I know for a fact she had smooth coats but it was many, many years ago when I was home so she might be gone by now.

I second Jax's suggestion on looking into collies. Border Collies i wouldnt recommend for apartment living though because they are so high energy its hard to keep them unless you take them out and work them a very large portion of the time. Collies (think Lassie) are great dogs. Good with kids, generally good with other animals, and are pretty good (like GSDs) about melding into your lifestyle. And they're smart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts