German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new here and new to German Shepherds. I just purchased our families first Shepherd and so far so good. I do however have a couple questions. Coco our puppy seems overall to be a good dog, smart, very smart, mischievous for sure. She won't listen at all, we have had her for only a week so far and shes becoming a member of the family, a family member that completely ignores us lol! Is this normal?

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Welcome from another in MI....don't expect your 9 week old pup to 'listen' just yet! What breeder is she from?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
:welcome: She's still just a baby, lots of treats and play time to get her excited and short obedience sessions, 5-10 minutes max

We'd love to see photos of the little one :)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Welcome :)! Do you know what line ur dog came from? That young "you have a baby", congrat :). My three yr old kid is as smart as my dogs, if they even see me lock or open a door they can do it!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I feel like I might of out smarted them, two extra locks and I do not let them see me lock them, or unlock :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The breeder is in Rochester, I met the parents and both were gorgeous. The male was quite large a little over 100lbs and the female was right around 75lbs. Both were attentive, the male was trained to protect so I didn't approach him, as long as I was crouched down he was fine, when I stood up the barking started. The female was sweet and playful, very pretty. Both were free of hip problems though the female was still only 5 years of age, the male was certified clear of hip problems he's almost 10 years of age.

We can do just about anything to her without any signs of aggression which is awesome, we can grab her paws, tail, food dish, water dish, toys, everything except her collar, which shes only been mad twice about and that was earlier this week now she seems okay with that as well. She does not like being rolled onto her back unless we scratch her belly. She does not like her paws being tickled though lol for some reason it really irritates her but my children don't know about that so we should be fine. My girls are 4 and 7 and Coco has really taken a liking to Samantha my 7 year old.

My Alaskan Malamute on the other hand is still protesting the puppy. She is not a happy dog at all. No biting just a lot of growling at the puppy, it doesn't help that Coco could care less about the growling, she just lays down waits for Blue (my malamute) to lay back down and pounces on her again.

Another thing I am curious about. This puppy shows absolutely no fear!! Shes not afraid of anything except the vacuum cleaner, which I don't think she cares about anymore either. This is normal right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts