German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, names Chris. Just cruising around for information and found this site. Just adopted a 2 y/o male GSD named Max. Took about an hour to warm up to me but is doing great. Gets along great with my 5 year old female English Pointer as well as my wife and 4 kids. Has some initial training from Kai’s in Ankeny but still need to work with him on getting him to perform commands on my time and not on his lol. Always open to suggestions and constructive feedback and looking forward to getting valuable information from the folks here.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Hi Chris! Congrats on the new addition! We have two train of thoughts on the forum(mostly) but some believe in a two week shutdown(easy to google) while others believe its better to give them rules and expectations from day 1.

I lean a little more in the middle. I vet any dog that’s in my care ASAP, and start house training if they aren’t house broken, and lay down the basis laws of the house. Basically, what furniture is okay to be on, which isn’t. No chasing children or dogs, crate training, and I typically tether them to me for at least the first week to stop any poor behaviors. If they are fully vaccinated I will walk them from the start.

This forum is great, has a wealth of information and advise. You’ll learn who fits your personal style more, and who’s advice to run from. (I’m one of those run from advisers). So welcome to the world of GSD’s and forum membership! Once you have enough posts, come back and post some pics. It’s the one thing we all agree on, we all LOVE pics!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! So far he is doing great. I walk him everyday and he does pretty good at staying by my side with the training collar on. However, he does tend to pull a little with his regular collar. I try not to use his training collar for regular walks as that was something I read about with using prong training collars. What’s funny is he was dropped off at a shelter in Nebraska with a note saying he was aggressive. Those owners were dumb to get rid of him. Fantastic dog that absolutely loves playing with my pointer and my kids.

In regards to training, still working on “leave it” commands so he stops terrorizing the cat but when it comes to walking do most people prefer their GSD to walk beside them or slightly behind? I’m used to my pointers and labs bearing in the front for flushing and retrieving purposes.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
What a handsome fellow, their loss for sure!

Everyone has a preference. If you aren’t competing in any sports with him, do what is comfortable for you. We do “natural” walks, where I let them choose the pace and sniff and mark and act like dogs, then switch it up to a heel for part of the walk, and then cool down with loose leash. It doesn’t bother me in any way to have them in front of me as long as they aren’t pulling. It becomes an issue for me if they pull.

I have my dogs heel to the right of me, which is apparently not the standard heel, but it works for me and my dogs, and we don’t compete, so I don’t worry as much if I had them competing. I also don’t like them behind or right at my leg in a heel, I prefer a heel where the dogs body hits my leg at their back ribs.

If you decide you want to set him up to compete or train in any sport, it may change the way you should approach the walk, not really sure though. We have tons of sport people on the forum, so I’m sure they can give you a much better answer than me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts