German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hello every one, I am a pastor here in indiana for the last 28 years, I love it. I now have a 8 month west german shepherd male puppy. This looks like a great place to learn more. Had a question, my puppy has not been eating very good for the last week, feed him 2 times a day, only eating 1 time now. He did hurt his front leg a week ago, and is still limping. How would you respond to this? Thanks

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Welcome pastor!
How did he injure his leg? Did you take him to the vet for it? If you don't know how he hurt it, he may be going through a bout of Panosteitis. It isn't serious, just uncomfortable and it may shift to other legs. Adding in natural vitamin C to the diet may help shorten the bout if that is what it is. There are many threads here on Pano, you can do a search for more info. It is common in GSD's
Growth slows down some around 8 months(after teething) and the food drive my lessen. I would make sure you are feeding a good quality diet and still feed 2x's a day, but bump down the portions.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
:welcome:

If it's a injury and he's still limping days after the fact I would schedule a vet visit to get it checked out

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Planning on taking him to the vet, with the info you gave me, thank you all for your kindness, and your advice.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Welcome to you! Please do let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took him to the vet today, vet said he believed it is pano, all the symptons were there moving around at the vets not comfortable, lack of eating, limping, He gave me a antibiotic, pain pills, and pet cal that has calcium,phoshorus, and vitamin. He said it will go away eventually. This is for 2 weeks, if worst bring him back then x-ray. again thanks for all of you, giving me good advice.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Wait, he gave you a supplement that adds cal/phos?
What are you feeding your pup?
Many times too much cal/phos will be detrimental to growing pups you need a balanced ratio of 1:1 if possible. What pain pills did he give you? There are side effects to some of them. I would also give probiotics mid day(or when you aren't giving the anti's) so the gut flora isn't destroyed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait, he gave you a supplement that adds cal/phos?
What are you feeding your pup?
Many times too much cal/phos will be detrimental to growing pups you need a balanced ratio of 1:1 if possible. What pain pills did he give you? There are side effects to some of them. I would also give probiotics mid day(or when you aren't giving the anti's) so the gut flora isn't destroyed.
the pain pill is called deramxx 1 tab , he said see how it works for him. let you know how it goes, thanks:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts