German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time GSD owner here.

I recently rescued Laika from the humane society, she was found out in the desert heat roaming as a stray. No tags or chip. They listed her as a Shepherd mix, but don't know what she is mixed with. They estimated her age at about 9 months old, but after our first vet visit, the vet guessed closer to 7 months.

I've owned other dogs in the past, but this is my first Shepherd and I'm looking forward to working with her, training, and having a new buddy for adventures.

Since she was a stray, we've been working on housebreaking, and I've been working to have her feel a bit more comfortable and confident in the house and with me. With no prior training, she is doing well (only 2 accidents in our first 3 weeks at home!) Active, fun, easygoing, although I can't take her on as many walks as I like, the heat here is unbearable (119 yesterday) so her poor puppy paws can't walk on the sidewalk, so we have to go early morning and late evening when it cools to 95 out.

Any ideas to help her exercise inside the house and to help stay cool will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Congrats on your first GSD. I toss the ball in the house, down the hall. I hide and have Fiona find me. I play with the flirt pole in the living room. I sweep and she chases the broom.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, and thank you for giving Laika a forever and loving home. I am sure that she will give you many great memories and lots of love. :greet:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
:welcome: I agree with Cheyanna regarding games such as "find it" and catch with toys. Puzzles for treats dispensing are great for working their minds as well as short obedience sessions :)

Edit: I forgot to add that a plastic kiddie pool works great for cooling off, I toss treats like a little raw meat, Rollover, or Wellbites in it and Delgado hunts in the water for the treats.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I have indoor soft toys I can throw. The treats in the pool is a great one and a kiddie pool is great. the flirt pole works as well. The puzzle balls do too.Thanks for giving her a furever home! very cute little girl!look forward to morte pics. Wishing you some cooler weather!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Aw she is so lovely she made me misty eyes c:

How're you dealing with this heat? I'm in Vegas and it just feels like everything is either melting or rotting. Ugh!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keeping cool indoors and not going for walks until its a bit cooler, either 7-8 at night and early in the morning before work. We try to play as much inside with her soft toys and running back and forth through the house.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
She is very cute and I do see a lot of GSD in her. Who knows what else she has but she sure is darling. Thanks for giving her a great home.

Most everyone else has hit on indoor exercise. You can also work on her obedience in the house to exercise her mentally. That will also wear her out. You can precate loose leash walking, come, sit and down stay. You can teach her tricks too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts