German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been lurking around the forum for quite a while now. My wife and I have decided to bring home a male German Shepherd puppy in a few weeks and this site has been an excellent resource for research and advice. The puppy is from German bloodlines and I couldn't have been more impressed with the Sire and Dam when I had the opportunity to meet them. I have read "How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend" by the Monks of New Skeet, "Puppies for Dummies", and two books by Caesar Milan. I have never owned a dog as an adult and want to do this right all the way. My father herds cattle with Border Collies and has lots of experience with dogs. I am a relative novice, but am open to any advice given by the experienced owners on this board. I am a Combat Engineer by trade and worked with Bomb Search Dogs in Afghanistan as well as Specialized Search Dog teams. These were some of the most dedicated and impressive animals that I have ever come into contact with, and have wanted one ever since. We finally have a home with a yard and are financially able to bring a dog home so now comes the wait for the right puppy from a litter born on 24 December to become old enough to take home. I look forward to talking with everyone on the board.

James

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi James,
Congratulations on your first dog as an adult!! You seem very prepared. It's great to have the opportunity to meet the parents and your experience with working dogs via your dad is invaluable.
I'm bringing home my GSD male on Friday. He'll be eight weeks. I have 2 14 yr.old GSDX and have fostered a bunch of pups, but I'm still nervous/excited and anxious to meet my new guy. I'm re-reading my New Skete books this eve.

I'm in Seattle, so not that far away.
Best,
B

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Welcome from up north in Snohomish County. Waiting to be able to bring your puppy home must be killing you!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Congrats on the puppy! and Welcome!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome, from the other side of the state! We moved from Ft. Lewis a few years ago heh. Sounds like you are already well prepared, can't wait to see pictures when you get to bring your little one home!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum! We all love puppy pics here so make sure you post some when you get your little one.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome all. I can't wait to get the little guy. I will absolutely post up some pics as soon as I take some. It's good to see some members here from Washington State. I might be asking some of you about dog friendly places to go in and around the Seattle area. Cheers!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Congrats on your pup, and welcome! I grew up in Lakewood, and my mom worked in civil service at McChord AFB for many years. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new little guy!

·
Registered
230 Posts
From a fellow Washingtonian, welcome aboard! We are here to help you with all of your puppy raising questions :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts