German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I recently adopted a German Shepherd mix who is about 2 years old. He had been stuck at a shelter for 3 months and has become very thin. He is apparently potty trained and knows a few commands. They didnt know his name and they named him Sampson. I stuck with just Sam. Anyways after owning a dachshund and a rat terrier I know that I have my hands full with Sam but he seems to love it hear a little to much. I can't get him to sleep for long periods of time and he isn't used to all the sounds of an apartment so he barks and gets worked up in the wee hours of the night. I plan on running with him a few times a week as well as bike rides and long walks. Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to sleep during the night?:help: Thanks!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome from Tyler! I would suggest you buy a crate for him and have him sleep in it next to your bed for a few weeks. Close him in with a good treat and a chew toy. The crate will keep him still and he'll have his own safe den where he can relax and feel safe. You might want to put a big towel or blanket over the end of it so he has a quiet dark spot in it.So glad you gave him a home, I'm sure he'll settle down in a few days, just be patient and give him time. He's been through a lot lately.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to both you and Sam from The Hill Country ! Lot's of good folk with good advice here ! Enjoy ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
:welcome:.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
welcome!!! he'll need time to adjust. the crate idea is a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts