German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Jeff. I just found this site and find it very imformative. I picked up my GSD puppy 2 weeks ago. We call her Sima and she is 12 weeks old now. She gets along great with our 4 year old daughter though like all puppies she is still nipping and mouthing but we are working on that, I am trying some things I have found on here. I look forward to reading more.
I don't know how to put a picture on here put when I figure it out I will post one.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Congrats and welcome from another Cincinnatian! Where are you in town? We're just south of Kenwood.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Welcome! I am in Cincy, and so is somebody who posts in the agility forum a lot.

This place is an excellent resource for anything dog related, so don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you want.

I live up north by Fields-Ertel road and belong to the Queen City Dog Training Club in Sharonville.

PS. QCDTC is having a Rally Obedience (Sat) and Regular Obedience (Sun) show and go this weekend. Stop by if you want. (But, you'll have to leave the pupper at home unless you want to enter him in some obedience.
)

http://qcdtc.org/

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
He's...gosh, about 4 now. Wow, time flies!!

Where is Bridgetown? I'm not a native Cincinnatian, so don't know where all the neighborhoods are quite yet...

Carole - how do you like the club in Sharonville? We're in the planning stages of getting a puppy (yay!) and, since I've never had a puppy, I'd like to go to training classes. There's also a club in downtown by my office (you can see it from 71S, near P&G), but I don't know anything about them.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
PM me. I know a great trainer (personally owns and trains a dobie) who is on the West side of town.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bridgetown is on the west side of town. If you know where the Harrison rd. exit off I-75 is you would take it and follow either Queen City ave or Harrison ave west for about 15 minutes. It is around Western Bowl which was in the news lately.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Welcome! I'm originally from Anderson Township (east side, near Mt. Washington and Newtown) but now I live about 1/2 hour east of Eastgate. If you live on closer to the east side of town, my club (Clermont County Dog Training Club) is just east of Milford. We have obedience, rally, agility, conformation, etc.

~Kristin

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: LuvsDieterCarole - how do you like the club in Sharonville? We're in the planning stages of getting a puppy (yay!) and, since
Well, obviously, I liked it enough to become a member.

It's an AKC club, but that doesn't mean you have to be an "AKC person" to train or be a member there. You also don't need to be a member to train there, but the class prices are reduced for members. You can see on the web page that there are many people devoted to dog training, and the class intructors are mostly people who have a lot of experience training dogs. Our Obedience Basic 3 trainer, owns exclusively GSDs. I've taken all 3 of my dogs to OB classes there and some agility classes.

The classes run $90 for 8 weeks, which I think is very reasonable. If after 3 classes you decide you'd like to be a member (optional), the classes are $20 each. There's also the perq of being able to bring your dogs in for training almost any time.

We also get compliments from judges and participants when we have shows. This March we had a 3 day obedience show the weekend of the big snowstorm and the membership got together on Saturday and managed to pull it off without any cancelations.

I've volunteered (not mandatory for membership) to work this weekend at the show n goes, so feel free to come in and talk to some people.

I've also taken classes at the Clermont County Dog Training Club out past Milford, and that's a good place too. They are not an AKC club, and I take my dogs there for their CPE agility trials.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: LuvsDieter There's also a club in downtown by my office (you can see it from 71S, near P&G), but I don't know anything about them.
Is that the Pet Athletic Club? If so, I know the "owners". They came by my place to see my Malinois, and the wife is a vet tech at my vets.

The guy there likes to work with "problem" dogs and also the protection sports and personal protection. Being downtown is a good place for that kind of business. I don't know anything else about that place.

I also know Kath Cook, a little, who runs the Blue Ribbon Dog Training Academy/East Fork Schutzhund Club. They are a bit farther out in Clermont county, but she has all GSDs. Just throwing that out as another option if you need somebody more in tune to the breed, or if you're interested in Schutzhund.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hmm, thanks for the details! I just checked out both the PAC and QCDTC and I think QCDTC is more my speed. The PAC website seems to fit their priorities - lots of flash and very expensive. I like the idea that they are downtown and right by my office, but I think they are out of my range. I really liked what QCDTC has to say, so I think I may give them a call and see if I can come out and observe a class before I decide to plunk down my $$$. Their prices seemed very reasonable and everything felt pretty relaxed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you post pics?
I got Sima at 9wks and when I took her for her first vet check with me she was 15lbs 6oz and the vet said she will be a big girl. She is 11wks old now and already it seems like she has almost doubled in size since I got her. She is very energetic going like the energizer bunny then crash. This is my first GSD. I have owned a Sheltie before.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: LuvsDieterI really liked what QCDTC has to say, so I think I may give them a call and see if I can come out and observe a class before I decide to plunk down my $$$.
Just come by (without your dog) anytime. Visitors are always welcome to watch the classes. You can see the class schedule online and you can talk with instructors when the class is over, if you like. If you have questions, you can email or call the registrar for obedience (or agility). Their information is on the website.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sima's DadDoes any one know about the Kuliga dog training club?
I know somebody who's a member there. I think the only thing that she doesn't like is the building is too small to set up an entire agility course. She comes to our club for Friday night agility practice. I think she's primarily an agility person, too.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts