German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that I've been a member of this forum for almost 2 months and still haven't posted anything! :eek:

Soooo... hello! I am the proud owner of Ralphie, a rescue I got back in February. They said he was between 2 and 3 years old, but I think he's younger than that, maybe just under 2, but hey, they found him in the woods in Kentucky and who knows how long he'd been wandering around by himself! His personality is very laid back (which is one of the reasons why I couldn't pass him up) and his face reminds me of my childhood GSD mix. Another plus - he gets along with both cats, too! We had a little bit of rough start; I was fully expecting it based on some of the things the foster mom told me about him (they weren't sure if he was house broken or not as they both worked from home and said they would just let him out every 2 to 3 hours no matter what, they said he didn't know any obedience commands and he was deemed a "flight risk" meaning he would run out any open door or run away from me at any chance). Turns out he was fully housebroken, knew a few basic commands, walked well on a leash and never once has he tried to bolt out of an open door or tried to take off on me when off-leash! Our few weeks, though, he had terrible separation anxiety when I left for work. He remodeled my house by tearing down all the window coverings and mini blinds I had. :rolleyes: After doing some desensitzation training, that problem is gone and he hasn't destroyed anything since the very beginning. We've been through a basic obedience class together and I think we've bonded very well. He's got great listening skills and learns crazy fast. I like to call him my velcro dog because he's pretty much stuck to me all the time! :D Attached are a couple pics of him.

I look forward to "meeting" everyone and becoming a more active member of this forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Congrats not only on rescuing a dog but for sticking with him during his seperation issue. Many people would have returned him to the place they got him.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats not only on rescuing a dog but for sticking with him during his seperation issue. Many people would have returned him to the place they got him.
I could never return him! :p There's always going to be an adjustment period, even with new people, so I figured time and training would be the best cure! From other stories I'd read about dogs with separation anxiety, I was fully expecting to have to deal with it for at least 6 months, but he resolved it himself after maybe a month. I think once he realized that I do come home after every time I leave and this is his permanent home, he calmed right down. My husband and I even went on a week-long vacation after having him for only a month and our friends that house-sat/pet-sat for us were very impressed with how well he did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts