German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Phil, me and my girlfriend Alex have a Black Sable GSD. His name is Banshee and he's 5.5 months old now. We take him everywhere and very socialized, and loves little dogs lol. Banshee isn't afraid of much not even gunfire or the vacuum lol. The weather hasnt been great up here lately :/, but we take him to the dog park whenever it is nicer out. This is my first time ever on here I was happy to see a German Shepherd forum and had to sign up lol. A resource like this should never be wasted lol. We have so many questions but of course can't think of any off the top of my head lol. Hope you welcome us into your community. :)

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Nice looking pup! Welcome from SW, MI....where did you get your pup, and are you planning on doing any sportwork with him? I have to google where Chesterfield is, not familiar with the town!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another pic of the little guy.. I was wondering how rare are sable GSDs? I've read there common but I never see them around. So just a curious question

Attachments

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Depends on where you go whether you see them often or not. In my area, I have only seen one(out of about 20 GSD's) sable and only one black one. Mostly I see show lines in my daily travels.

Where I train, there are working line sables, blacks, black and tan and another place I train, there are quite a few showline black and reds along with a few WL sables.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes we are planning on doing agility with him. Were just not 100% sure how to get started quite yet. He's currently in his second puppy class lol. We got him from a backyard breeder, I know thats looked down upon but parents are in good health with no history of hip displasea. He's AKC registered. Yea Chesterfield is kinda a small place lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Banshee is a working line GSD. Another reason I thought I'd ask about how rare sable is, is because theres a bunch of people who will see him even at the dog park who will ask if hes purebred because of the color, then I have to explain hes a black sable GSD lol.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
Most all sables are from working lines, and the showline sables(which are NOT common) are seldom dark in color/more washed out. Your boy isn't a black sable, just a sable! Black sables are not common either and are almost pure black, very little change in undercoat. Though a sable's a sable, regardless.

Watch it at the dog park, puppy's lose the 'puppy pass' at around 6 months and the dynamics change, you may see some bullying behavior either from your dog or towards your dog, and it never ends well. GSD's are seldom good dog park candidates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for clearing that up about sable and black sable, didnt know where the line was drawn on that. There is some bullying behavior at the dog park towards banshee, when a dog does come up to bully him banshee lays down immediately as if to show non aggression and the other dog leaves him alone. Nothing has progessed passed that point yet. Thank you for the heads up on that i'll keep a even closer eye on that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome, Phil and Banshee!
I'm not from Chesterfield (a little ways west of that), but I do work in that area. :)

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
You want Banshee to be a very confident pup and going to the dog park may not be the best place for him to keep it. Get with a small structured training group if you want him to interact with other dogs...at least then you have more control over which dogs he is around.
IMO, dogs can have a buddy or two, but as a handler, you should be most important whereever you go, not other people or other dogs...he needs to be 'with' you and that is instilled early in puppyhood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the Intel, we would like for him to keep his confidence. He has yet to be afraid of another dog an although he has been submissive to older dogs he does get very defensive for other dogs. For example we used to take him to puppy playtime for some socialization and if other dogs were "playing a little to rough" he would get in their face an bark continuously until they would break it up. He seems to get very uneased by other dogs "bad behavior". We assume it to be a dominance thing or that he wants to be in control of the situation. He only does this with dogs more so his age. Our new puppy class he was barking at one dog in particular but that dog was growling and staring at any dog that got close to her. An of course we happened to be sitting close to her so she was more focused on banshee causing him to bark at her (not too much) which was getting him "in trouble" with the trainer and her spray bottle. Any thoughts?

Thanks for another welcome :) and do you work around Chesterfield or work your dogs here?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for the Intel, we would like for him to keep his confidence. He has yet to be afraid of another dog an although he has been submissive to older dogs he does get very defensive for other dogs. For example we used to take him to puppy playtime for some socialization and if other dogs were "playing a little to rough" he would get in their face an bark continuously until they would break it up. He seems to get very uneased by other dogs "bad behavior". We assume it to be a dominance thing or that he wants to be in control of the situation. He only does this with dogs more so his age. Our new puppy class he was barking at one dog in particular but that dog was growling and staring at any dog that got close to her. An of course we happened to be sitting close to her so she was more focused on banshee causing him to bark at her (not too much) which was getting him "in trouble" with the trainer and her spray bottle. Any thoughts?

Thanks for another welcome :) and do you work around Chesterfield or work your dogs here?
Nah, my job is out in that direction, in Clinton Township. I actually live about forty minutes from there. My dogs are rarely out that way, except for vet appointments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts