German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the beginning stages of doing research about the German Shepherd breed. I have two Jack Russell dogs which are my watch dogs/family members and have decided to get a female German Shepherd pup. Due to the multiple home robbery's in our area we have decided on the German Shepherd as a guard dog for our home. We treat our dogs as if they were our own children and we want to do this right the first time. I have been reading the forum and there is a wealth of knowledge on here. I have contacted a few breeders in my state for information about their line of dogs. What I am looking for in a dog is a low energy level, "laid back" dog with a great personality. I want her to have strong protective abilities, and form a strong bond with us and have a great temperment. Any tips or advise will be greatly appreciated. As a child I was raised around German Shepherds. I know some of them can be big teddy bears until they need to take care of business, this is the type of dog I am looking for.
Thanks, Ronnie

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is exactly the type of dog I was looking for and thank goodness we found him. The breeder we used does not ship and we are in Iowa... it probably won't work for you unless you will be up this way. Anyway, good luck in your search, I am sure you will find the right puppy for your family.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Welcome to you Ronnie, while I would not exactly categorize a German Shepherd as a low energy breed no matter which line you select, I can quite confidently assure you that the qualities you desire should be prevalent in any line, just do your research, decide which line you are most attracted to and find a reputable breeder to fit the perfect puppy into your home. The German Shepherd is an active breed, though more than capable of settling in the home, I have a 6 month old extremely high energy puppy that is obsessed with helping me move my horses around, but when the chores are done, she comes in the house and sleeps happily on her bed till we go out again. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what type of GSD you're looking for, so this may not interest you. My oldest boy, Slider, is from Cyndi Flautt, a breeder in Brandon, MS. He's American showlines and a fantastic dog, a true Southern Gentleman and IMHO he's beautiful too!
Caretti German Shepherds Home Page

Here's a picture taken of Slider when he was a year old.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome! :greet:

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Welcome to you!! Most all GSD's are naturally protective so your pup should be good at her guarding duties. Do keep in mind she will require some obedience training and lots of sociliazation so she can earn to discern when to protect and when not to protect. All that with some good firm leadership should make her a great dog when you find her.

I bought my current pup from my friend. I have moved all over the country for my job and have gotten GSD pups from several breeders. Some shipped some I met parents nad picked pup up. So happens when we moved to our current location I found a gem of abreeder who has also become a friend and training partner. Mayhem came from Tidmores Rising Star. McAlester is about 3 hours due north of Dallas. Check her out.

http://gsdnet.org/

https://www.facebook.com/tidmoresgsd

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cool! If you can train two Jacks, this will be a great addition. My friend's jack isn't much but that's enough to wake the owner up. One of the smartest dogs I know!

I just picked out a low energy shepherd. You will be able to tell when you see all the puppies which one is the most mellow.

As a teen, I had a doberman that was a beautiful and loyal example of the breed. He was perfect and would protect and tear into anything on instinct and command. Dexter was a great family dog and would also fit your needs.

Either way, you will have a great dog.

What breeders were you looking at?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the information. I am really just getting started researching kennels.

Arycrest, I live near Brandon, I will check out Caretti. You have a beautiful dog!!

Odinsfreki, yes one of the jacks was one of the hardheaded dog that I have ever worked with. I odopted her when she was around two and very set in her ways. She has come around to my way of thinking and is now daddy's little girl. She follows me everywhere and mopes when I get ready to leave the house.

Thanks again for all the help. Ronnie

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what type of GSD you're looking for, so this may not interest you. My oldest boy, Slider, is from Cyndi Flautt, a breeder in Brandon, MS. He's American showlines and a fantastic dog, a true Southern Gentleman and IMHO he's beautiful too!
Caretti German Shepherds Home Page
I can't speak of breeders, but I can say that the best temperament of any dog I've ever fostered was an American Showline dog. We found out where she came from, so it was a rare situation where we actually knew a dog's breeder (though the breeder had recently died). She was easy--laid-back, mellow, and agreeable. She slid into new situations with a curious, easy-going disposition, without the slightest hint of anxiety. You could take her anywhere, introduce her to anybody or any dog, and she was simply rock-solid. She was also playful and fun without off-the-charts prey drive to manage. She got a great forever home, but she is the only foster dog I've ever had that I genuinely regret not keeping -- she was simply terrific. My experience with this dog makes me think Arycrest's suggestion of ASL is likely spot-on what you are looking for, with an easy-going dog.

That foster dog gave me a strong appreciation for ASL dogs as terrific family pets--the kind of dog that 99% of people are looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts